Denying website cookies is not really possible

There’s a bug about denying website cookies. It’s only appearing on mobile, PC seems fine. I am in general against cookies, so I always deny them. Now the problem here is, that, after I deny them, the message disappears but appears after scrolling up or down again. I tried declining them all too with advanced options, but the message kept appearing. That’s annoying, especially on phone because the message is huge.

The bug is already there for a longer time and I always hoped that it’s going to get fixed some day. But nothing happened until now.

Just delete the forum cookies to get the message back, deny the cookies and scroll a bit. The message should appear again.

4 Likes

I never had this issue before. Maybe it has to do with your location? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ll try it later with VPN, but I don’t think it’s because of my location.

2 Likes

When you deny cookies it can’t store that you denied cookies. It’d be guaranteed to happen on a refresh anyways, and it probably happens on scroll because content is loaded dynamically by Discourse (a thousand reply topic won’t have all thousand replies loaded at once).

The real bug here is that you stay signed in despite denying cookies.

8 Likes

I disagree. No dynamic page should be showing a cookie alert when it loads in content. It should be stored in a variable on the page.

I know that the message may appear again after I deny cookies in a certain time and I am fine with denying it over and over again, but definitely not every single time when I scroll up or down. I know other sites like this which don‘t have this issue and still have posts with over thousands of comments.

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

3 Likes

Hey @catsettings, this should be resolved now, can you try again?

4 Likes

It’s solved, thank you very much!

1 Like