Deprecating Legacy CSG System

except I don’t want a single colour, I already have multiple coloured parts that all I need to do is to cut into them to reshape them, without the negative part recolouring them, which just ruins my modelling.

Simply color the negative part to be the right color for wherever you’re cutting.

1 Like

This issue with parts going invisible - it couldn’t also affect meshes could it (as I’m having that issue at the moment when playing my game)?

This would be a different issue definitely.

I understand there may not be an easy way to workaround this issue for your methodology. We will take that into account. Please post in CSG V3 post so that we can track that issue there. Thank you

1 Like

Where do I post? Which category is “CSG V3” in? can you please link it to me?

The main announcement post: Studio Beta: CSG Has a New Engine - Vroom, Vroom, Vroom!

1 Like

Let’s assume you have a multi-colored (or multi-coloured) union that you want to cut out of.

However, you don’t want to just use a NegativePart, because that would result in the cut-out portion becoming all the same color:

You need to separate the colors out and make cutters out of each of them:

Then you can union them back together and then negate to make your cutter:

Voila! Complex cutters are possible:

Someone could definitely make a plugin that automates this.

this is extremely tedious and should NOT be required, and also, more complex shapes will not be so easy to do like this, if impossible for a human.
Roblox Studio was designed to be easy to use, and I shouldn’t have to spend hours designing a negative part just to prevent colour screw-up that shouldn’t happen in the first place.
I hope that there’s a setting to prevent negative parts changing the colour of unions…

3 Likes

Have the offset bug fixes and cylinder / sphere bug fixes been pushed yet?

You should hear from us real soon. Stay tuned

2 Likes

Hello everyone, my gratefullness towards Roblox CGS system having a hard time after CGS1 is getting deprecated.
I haven’t used CGS3 as deeply as CGS1 but from what I’ve seen there’s an issue which is making my hair fall… I’m talking about cylinder+wedges related issues. CGS2 doesn’t help of course.

Here’s a screenshot of my problem. My intention is to create a conical part but some graphical artifacts caused by numerical issues are blocking my progress.
I can’t find a solution, unless maybe using block parts. CGS1 was able to correctly align the vertexes to the shape without creating these triangular prolongations.

Model negated.

I hope to have correctly pointed out the issue. I count on a practical fix. Thank you for the attention.

1 Like

May be a stupid question, but the CSG system is the union/separate stuff right?

1 Like

Yes, it is. It’s the engine which provides such geometry operations. It’s a neat way to create 3D models. It really stimulates creativity and reasoning for, you are limited by adding and subtracting either complex or simple parts.

Hi,
just wanted to give you an update: the fix for those slight differences that occur when separating then re-unioning is now released in Studio (ver. 518)!
Please report any more issues you may have when using CSG V3 to modify / update legacy models.
Thank you!

2 Likes

Happy to report the offset bug is now fixed. However, there are some more bugs that I would like to see addressed (preferably before launch).

You can tell when things don’t align properly by duplicating the union, separating it, and re-unioning it, then changing the color to something high and contrasting. If the new union doesn’t z-fight on all angles with the old union, then something went wrong.

First bug I’ve noticed is this strange difference with my Metal Sonic’s spines. For some reason, when I separate and re-union this in CSGV3, random artifacts appear on parts of the model where they weren’t before. Take note of the green part jutting out of the side, as well as these strange floating parts.

Second bug I’ve noticed is that cylinders and spheres still do not maintain their intended orientation when being unioned. You can see the difference. Take note of where the green on the spines does not line up with the blue, and seems to “jut out” more.

Aside from this, I haven’t found any problems yet, but if I do, I’ll add them here.

If you need me to, I can send you a file with a repro.

1 Like

Hi,
glad to hear your confirmation about the offset bug fix!
Also, thank you for reporting the other issue.
Yes - if possible, please send us the file with repro, and we will look into it. (If you don’t want to publicly share the file you can either send it by a DM to me or @Tconnect)

2 Likes

Can you share a model that will highlight this issue? I will look at it right away. Thanks

TestIII.rbxl (46.2 KB)

It’s the same conical part I showed in the pictures above.

Thanks a lot. I will have a look and will update you asap.

3 Likes

2 days until this drops, at least from when I’m posting this. Is the cylinder/sphere bug going to be patched before release, or will we need to wait longer?