Deprecating Legacy CSG System

CSG stands for Constructive Solid Geometry: it allows you to create complex geometry by unioning or subtracting simpler primitives.

3 Likes

When can we expect CSG v3 live in game?

4 Likes

Glad to see stuff that does not really get used much gone, I hope the new system will be better!

1 Like

Are we going to be able any time soon change Renderfidelity to Performance for unions?

2 Likes

How can I see what version of CSG a union uses?

1 Like

I’m a bit confused here but

how do i know where to upgrade CSG engine or what version is it?

also is this affecting to Legacy Mesh class? What i meant is a class object that parents to Parts (not MeshPart)

2 Likes

CSG V3 in-game APIs are coming soon. We are working hard on ironing the last issues. To be honest, we can’t wait for you to be able to try CSG V3 in-game. We want to see what you’ll be able to get out of this faster CSG engine.

3 Likes

@glaqss @banktoner If you didn’t chose the legacy CSG engine on purpose, you either use CSG V2 or CSG V3. Anyway the new engine CSG V3 is compatible with both V1 (legacy) and V2. This means you should be able to edit any existing union with CSG V3.

Are we going to be able any time soon change Renderfidelity to Performance for unions?

@xxibadrxx This is not in our immediate plans but we are thinking of having a more generic management of rendering and collision detection settings (that would be common to meshes and CSG unions). Would you happen to have examples of models for which being able to set Renderfidelity to Performance for a union would be of benefit?

1 Like

Are you able to say what the issues are?

1 Like

There are a few crashes related to CSG operations that we are working on eliminating. Once these are fixed, CSG V3 in-game APIs will be released, probably as a beta first.
By the way if you ever have a crash while doing a union or separate, please share the model with us so we can try to reproduce the issue.

3 Likes

I’ll ask again; are synchronous (non-yielding) APIs planned for CSGv3?

2 Likes

CSG operations may be expensive, whatever the engine. Synchronous calls could result in a really slow experience. Can you give me more details about what you would like to achieve?

As a general comment, if your reply is about CSG V3 specifically (as opposed to V1 to V3 migration), could you please post here: Studio Beta: CSG Has a New Engine - Vroom, Vroom, Vroom!
I am monitoring both threads and will reply asap on both. Thanks

2 Likes

Is the update still going to ship on time if the cylinder/sphere bug isn’t fixed? I’m fine waiting for that to fix after release, since I haven’t got any projects I’m particularly busy with at the moment. Just curious is all.

2 Likes

Ideally we have enough time to fix these bugs before deprecating CSG V1.
There’s currently no reason to think we may have to push back the March 31st date.

3 Likes

Hmm… I don’t think that it’s related to the upgrade of CSG system, but I’ve been struggling to seperate unions lately. The error message pop out quite often in this month with the code -8/-11.

Union failed

Something went wrong. CSG returned error code -11. Please file a bug report, preferably with a file containing the problematic object(s).

Here I’m attaching one of the models. Thanks a lot if you can help me!

broken.rbxm (15.6 KB)

3 Likes

I reproduced your issue. I will look into it.

6 Likes

I didn’t really pay attention to the CSG changes…

Studio does default to the second version, right? By this I mean if I didn’t make any changes in regards to what version I’m using it should still be working with V2?

2 Likes

I have the same question. I use unions in my game and are they still working after the update?

1 Like

Yes that’s right. V2 is the default version. Some of you may have V3 as default (it is partially rolled out). If you’re using legacy CSG (or V1), you have chosen to do so at some point.

Unions already created will not be modified. Once CSG V1 is deprecated, any CSG creation or modification will be done using either V2 or V3.

5 Likes

What does CSG stand for? I know what it is (sorta) but I don’t understand what the acronym is.