Deprecating Lighting.Legacy, Introducing Lighting.Compatibility

With the new lighting, neon is not solely dependent on bloom intensity/size/threshold. It is also dependent on the brightness of the color itself. If the color is too dark, no glow will appear no matter your bloom settings. If you wish to have the neon glow on those parts, you will need to use brighter colors.

1 Like

Those cyan, green and pink colours are pretty bright.

7 Likes

Though they are not bright enough to have a glow with the new lighting system.

most effects made with neon in legacy wont be able to be used in compatibility

Compatibility from my testing is that it is almost the exact same with some stuff from Voxel thrown in the mix.

New changes, can’t wait. But, I do hope that this will improve the simplicity of lighting.

Wait for FiB in the mean time use compatibility its the closest we can get.

Very nice.
This is evolution!

1 Like

Will any Legacy properties default to Compability, or Voxel?

1 Like

While that may be so, several of my games look terrible in Voxel. I shouldn’t be forced to re-make them, picking new colors and materials every time Roblox makes an update to the lighting engine.

4 Likes

@ConvexRumbler I can’t see the difference between unreal engine and Roblox… Great work!

2 Likes

This is a really neat feature, great job!

Looks nice! Does anyone know when the new material system will launch??

1 Like

My only issue with Voxel is that it seemingly removes a great deal of detail on darker clothing. I have attempted to change the lighting/color correction, but the darker clothes always appear very bland and plain.

4 Likes

This isn’t every time tho. This is the rare one-off situation you inevitably get when there’s a completely new lighting system in the works. The Roblox engineers have maintained near immaculate backwards compatibility for essentially an eternity, and we should be thankful we’re not tweaking our settings everyday. This is really a non issue compared to some other platforms where updates are far more breaking.

2 Likes

Been noticing this warning in my game, and it redirects here. When is exactly the date when Lighting.Technology = Legacy deprecated?

6 Likes

Actual reflections! I am definitely looking forward to this! Even if it’s just the light, it’s a step forward to the future.

1 Like

I’ve noticed this, not in clothing but when using relatively dark grays and blacks while building highly-detailed models.

New material system looks great! Cant wait! :smiley:

1 Like

Why is my lawn shiny…?

(Legacy is shown first - I then switch to Compatibility.)

25 Likes