Deprecating Lighting.Legacy, Introducing Lighting.Compatibility

How much brighter can a neon green and cyan get to get a proper glow?
image image

Having to go this bright and still not seeing a glow is ridiculous.

7 Likes

Well I’ll let this screenshot speak for itself. It was taken with default bloom and lighting settings (aside from brightness which is at 1 instead of 2) with Lighting.Technology set to Compatibility.

4 Likes

I love these upcoming lighting. I am surprised that they are gonna have good shadows. Hopefully won’t lag me because I still used Windows 7.

2 Likes

I’m not really happy with this change, legacy gives much a brighter variant. but Compatibility is alright.

3 Likes

The OS doesn’t matter if you have Windows 7. What really matters is other specifications such as the processor, RAM and, quite importantly but equally overlooked, the GPU. Adding onto that, an OS is almost never a bottleneck unless it’s quite old and unsupported. Even in those cases the OS might not be a bottleneck.

3 Likes

I feel like adding a Neon.Intensity ability independent of color for neon parts could be able to help a lot of the problems people are having with neon in the new lighting. Neon can do a lot of great things so far, and making its affect configurable would take things a bit further. Theres already a post someone made about this as a feature request which has been solved, but using transparency means that the part has to be see-through.

7 Likes

exactly! Thank you for adding on to this. Hopefully we’ll see more updates with materials in the near-future.

I am one of those “angry” people. I understand why you would want to get rid of old code so you can continue to update things more efficiently but please consider these images
(first legacy then compat)

It greatly ruins just about ALL of it, from material, to neon, to color, etc
I’ve also noticed this weird issue.
It starts out as Compat then goes to legacy and if you look closely the cape has a weird blob effect on it. Not sure what this is but i’m hoping its fixed. So far I don’t like this change and hope Legacy will stay or a newer version will be released but I obviously have no control

37 Likes

How come Voxel and Compatibility mode causes more lag than legacy? Will this be fixed? My players are complaining about lag after switching over.

7 Likes

Have you tried putting in some Post - Processing effects like Color Correction & boosting the saturation? The reflections won’t change but the colors will be brighter like you wanted.

2 Likes

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr particles arent fixed yet…

legacy:

compatibility:

I would really really prefer legacy be kept around. Im personally not too big of a fan of voxel at the moment.

21 Likes

Yeaaa they really should make compatibility/voxel look presentable before they completely get rid of legacy.

7 Likes

I’m looking forward to this! Though, I kinda have to use a bloom to fix the neon.

2 Likes

Although you’re quite right on that hardware is the main cause of bottle necking, it’s not entirely true that the OS doesn’t play a part.

Especially with win10, you get a LOT of bloatware, especially if you buy a new pc.

Recently is had to clean install and further uninstall bloatware from PCs and laptops because the system files were taking about 50Gb of storage! On brand new hardware!

Even then, things like Windows animations, cortana, xbox live slow down Windows.

4 Likes

Exactly, thank you for adding onto my point. Windows 7 can actually be better performance-wise. Dang though, 50GB on new hardware!

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to the things that this update will bring. While it may not affect me directly as a scripter, I still believe that when making games or even playing games, it’ll enhance the experience and make everything seem more alive.

1 Like

That looks sick! Absolutely can’t wait to see this release!

My computer is pretty outdated, I can’t do anything about it except buy a new one. Is 4.2GB of RAM is fine or no? Also my computer doesn’t have any graphics card yet can still run things.

After trying to adapt to the new lighting system, I have some complaints.

When compared to Legacy and even Compatibility, Voxel has this phenomenon in which bright scenes appear too washed out / undersaturated, and dark sceens appear too dark / oversaturated. Also, one thing that’s really annoying is the skybox hue. As you ascend higher, the skybox starts to gain some really wierd hues. This is problematic for me especially, since I’m developing a flight-centered game.

The following were taken at a Y-Position of just under 10k studs with ClockTime set a few minutes after 8pm.

Legacy:

Compatibility:

Voxel:

While I agree that 8pm shouldn’t be as dark as it is in Legacy, it is way too bright in Compatibility and Voxel. It gets even worst in early morning situations (4am-6am), having the skybox looking like a summer afternoon.

Voxel, 4am, Y=10k:

Really hope this gets fixed in the future, or at least give developers the option to manually change the skybox hue for different times/heights (ColorSequences? :slight_smile:).

10 Likes

I am glad Legacy is getting removed (I hope Voxel sticks around just as long as compatibility does though). I am tired of playing games with “no neon surrounding neon parts” / “Very little neon”.