Deprecating Lighting.Legacy, Introducing Lighting.Compatibility

But do these reflective materials support the reflection of actual parts…? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

4 Likes

Are you planning to remove Lighting.Compatibility in the future, after Lighting.Legacy is removed? If this happens, will you force users to switch to Lighting.Voxel?

6 Likes

Well, they kinda do. The darker the color of the part gets, the less it will glow. However I can agree that an actual intensity slider would be nice no matter how unlikely it is we’ll get one.

2 Likes

:frowning:

R.I.P. My old portal effect

29 Likes

Going to miss black neon :pensive:

15 Likes

What would happen if you try to change colour of the light? Or perhaps, the brightness? I can really tell that the sunrays Compatibility and Legacy are quite different.

But as far as I know, like you said, a solution is to make a thicker wall to hold some light going through.

3 Likes

Not sure why I didn’t see this post earlier but, I’m going to get honest. Some builds/situations look better in lagacy mode then voxel especially ones that’s an outdoors build at night or a dark area, I find it really hard to get it to be dark but still able to see things.

That said voxel is great I am using it in a newer build with a sci-fi theme and in an area with a big window looking out to space with “the sun” shining in (a part with surface light on the other side of the window), it makes a good “ray” on the floor and back wall.

But I still like lagacy a lot especially for neon parts or one of my builds of a idea for renos etc of my irl bedroom, built in a large scale. I have a desk set up with “rgb” lights and a pc etc I built, the surface lights etc look terrible on voxel mode it’s not smooth like lagacy, it’s boxy and the fade is not great.

6 Likes

The outside of the building (streets and such) are clearly visible from the inside (windows), so any change in lighting would be jarring.

4 Likes

New material system? Does this mean we can finally get support for normal and specular maps? This is a highly requested feature and obviously the engine has support (default materials use them)

2 Likes

gosh, i have a love/hate relationship with this update. i know the colors were going to be different, but for my undertale game, god, it really makes everything way too saturated with everything i have.

map comparisons

legacy:

compatibility:

voxel:

i know it’s to be done, so the platform can work better overall and even look better. wish it didn’t oversaturate or desaturate everything, though, cause it certainly does that to some character models:

character model comparisons

legacy:
compatability:

voxel:

hopefully i can find a way to fix this, because otherwise, it’s going to ruin the mood of the whole thing.
good job aways!

11 Likes

The reason the sphere did not cast shadows in Legacy is because Legacy is inaccurate. When something covers the sun it should produce shadows. You might have have to change the transparency of the mesh or settle for a blue skybox

2 Likes

Real time reflection?? AMAZING!! This feature has really been on my wishlist for ages! So excited!!!

22 Likes

I personally think Compatibility has way to much reflectibility, would be nice if there was a way to reduce that.

5 Likes

Those are the specular highlights on those Parts, not real time reflections.

3 Likes

It doesn’t seem like the balls are reflecting each other in any way, but the really reflective one at the end is reflecting the base plate, light sources, and sun.

3 Likes

The last reflective part isn’t reflecting the baseplate. It’s reflecting the bottom half of the skybox.

4 Likes

I was expecting for this change to be later once Voxel became more finalized. Nonetheless, it’s an end of an era, but it’s for the better. I am glad that there is an alternative present.

Remember when dynamic lighting released in 2013? With the new PointLights? Time flies.

5 Likes

I think you mean bottom half of the skybox and yeah it is actually

1 Like

Will we be able to access the old material system?

1 Like

What do you mean by “old material system”? There was nothing ever stated about the current material system being deprecated or removed.

1 Like