Deprecating Small CSG Parts

My game is literally a game with tiny models(RTS). After running a quick script, I have 120 models with parts that have one or more size axes below .05. What can I do about this? Am I completely screwed?
None of my game relies on physics to tiny parts. It’s just there for looks.

11 Likes

Turn them into SpecialMeshes in parts and then use Scale to scale them appropriately?

No, it’s about the Size property of the whole union. Not about individual parts in the union.

1 Like

I suppose I could rig up a simple-ish script to get them ready and then upload the unions as meshes one by one… but what a pain, and it’ll prevent me from easily modifying those parts in the future. And it may even force me to change the animations of some of my skins. Ugh, why.

4 Likes

This is truly a pain for me. I have a giant resources save file with like 400 models of their original size. To get them ready for my game I shrink them all down and then paste them into my game save file. Now I’ll have to beware of any unions that will be too small when shrunken down and turn them into SpecialMeshes to get them ready? What if I want to modify the asset afterwards, I have to keep a copy with the original unions and then reupload as meshes if I change any of them later on? This is so messy. I understand wanting to make things simpler on the engine, but this is a total wrench being tossed into my game when it was trucking along perfectly fine. What pros will I get out of this headache?

Probably 250 individual unions in this screenshot will have to be redone. Some are named in my script, so I’ll have to adjust that CFraming by hand in the script. And there are probably 40 more models not in this screenshot.

14 Likes

How do you think I feel :sob: I have over 200 guns with tons of unions each that will be affected

9 Likes

Pretty shoddy I bet. I really want to know how much faster my game will be with this update. I know why they are doing it, but if after all this effort on my part my game lags all the same because I dont have collisions on any of my unions, I’m gonna be really ruffled.

2 Likes

Thanks for warning us!

Basically any realistic tank build of mine is screwed, it uses tiny unions and basically R.I.P it.

Kind of wondering what some builds that used this would look like after the update. Someone wanna make a thread of the best results? :3

Question: What happens when in the future we un-union things that were previously made up of tiny CSGs? Will that force the two pieces to be larger than they were when they were unioned together?

3 Likes

Does this only affect unions with a hitbox side smaller than 0.05?

If your CSG part has a Size property that has one or more of its dimensions < 0.05, any such dimensions will be rounded up to 0.05. The Size property is all that matters here.

I really do hope that it is merely the bounding box that is rounded up, instead of the union itself, since a bunch of people, myself included, have very tiny and numerous assets.

1 Like

Alright, thanks

As a developer who works on recreating Disneyland as much as possible accurately, I am glad this is being fixed. In the past I have had problems with making very very small pieces just make one thing correctly the way I wanted it to be.

1 Like

sure do so (:

How does making small parts larger help with that :\

3 Likes

Yeah, that would have been an issue with the Studio resize tool rather than min part size. I’m pretty sure the resize tool’s min size is 0.2 anyway, so you’d never reach min CSG size.

1 Like

Its .05 actually now. Model resize plugins are the biggest concern as they are limitless. Some convert parts to mesh so they can be smaller however CSG cannot be reformatted that way.

1 Like

This is still a question I have. Will I have to blow up old unions before un-unioning them to avoid getting the sizes messed with?

7 Likes