Deprecating Small CSG Parts

You got to be kidding me… so if I got this correctly if I had something (not something I got a tun) scale below 0.05 it is going to automatically going to be 0.05 this is going to ruin a lot of stuff I know that this is for good sake but a lot of stuff that been done will be put to 0.05 and how the hell will do all that work again I got stuff done and that’s the best size for it and there is no going around it this cant go on…

I have scaled parts smaller then 0.05 and it have to be less to look good in game it cant be bigger because it will look horrible

2 Likes

Yep indeed, it screws me too.

I suggest exporting your unions, putting it into a SpecialMesh and scaling that however you like.

Still have the same questions, but I now have another that we definitely need confirmed:

Are MeshParts exempt in this?

Another question:

UnionOperations with one axis that has a size of 0 effectively have a mesh that is 100% flat. Forcing that axis to be a non-zero size doesn’t give that mesh any depth(I just tested it). I’m planning on leaving those alone, or just clamping them to .05 myself before the update. I imagine the mesh inside that is technically 0 in size on one axis wont be messed with by the CSG engine, correct?

This change only applies to CSG.

As for your 2nd question, we don’t currently plan on supporting such operations. The new behavior is to blow the primitive up to the minimum dimension, which will be 0.05 studs. We may change this to 0.01 in the future.

I hope that answers your questions.

Thanks

What about un-unioning normal sized unions that are made up of unions too small? That would be a pain to deal with when going back to old projects, not knowing if you gotta blow something up first or if its safe to un-union.

The system should automatically blow up all the smaller unions to 0.05 if they are too small once reverted.

I mean when you un-union and the resulting unions are too small, blowing them up would mess with it(you might not even notice until later), which could get annoying

It’s a side effect of this change. Not sure if we can do anything about that.

There isn’t other than maybe a warning. Yeah I’d call it a side effect.
Thanks.

1 Like

Can you implement a system for converting unions to meshes within Studio?

Or better develop the export feature so individual parts can be saved individually?

2 Likes

Is there at least a way to blow up just the bounding boxes?

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.