DepthOfFieldEffect now has incredibly broken visuals in Roblox Studio

Reproduction Steps

1. Insert “DepthOfFieldEffect” into the Lighting service in Roblox Studio
  2. Observe there is weird square artifacting
  3. Set “InFocusRadius” to 50, observe larger artifacting and weird z-fighting with beams/particles that are behind parts

I am using the newest build of Roblox Studio on the newest version of Windows 10. I have Studio graphics set to the highest level possible. I have all beta features turned on.

Expected Behavior

When using DepthOfFieldEffect:

• There are no square artifacts
  • I cannot see beams, particles, and lighting through solid surfaces

Actual Behavior

When using DepthOfFieldEffect:

• I see square artifacts, beams, lighting, SurfaceGuis, BillboardGuis, transparent parts, and particles through non-transparent parts
  • The “FocusDistance” and “InFocusRadius” properties seem to affect how intense this glitch is
  • This bug does not occur outside of Roblox Studio

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-09-08 00:09:00 (-07:00)

13 Likes

Also seems to occur for those not having any beta feature enabled as I tried to get rid of this. Has been immensely prevalent and impactful during playtesting, especially within the places that make use of this effect perpetually.

2 Likes

Experiencing this as well.

Extremely annoying, cant really get anything done with DoF enabled because its so distracting, but nice to know whats causing it.

Thanks for the report. I filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll come back with updates when possible.

2 Likes

I can confirm this, it’s been happening to me for over a week.

Still occurring, this is incredibly frustrating. Is there really no way to temporarily revert whatever change caused this?

I have also experienced this in the past and my workaround was ensuring that Graphics Mode in studio’s settings was set to anything other than Vulkan.

This appears to have been resolved sometime in December of 2022.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.