Description error on Humanoid page

On the Humanoid wiki page, ChildRemoved’s description says “Too many members!”

cc @einsteink, @Elmuowo, @UristMcSparks

Looking in to it, not sure if it’s fixable.

EDIT: mediawiki errored “expensive”, as we’re requesting too much pages for their content.
Looking for a workaround for now

EDIT2: Eh, only solution for now is merging members (nope) or deleting some members.
(I could make it not do members containing “Status”, as those are all deprecated)
(I was gonna hide the lowercase remove/destroy, but those don’t count towards the limit for this error)

Need to allow more expensive stuff on the wiki, but you need physical (well, write-to-disk) access for that…

I’ve temporarily “fixed” this by doing this:

1 Like

Why this happens, in case you’re interested: When the wiki generates a class reference page, it retrieves the short description for each member. This means it has to retrieve each member page’s content, parse it, find the short description, and write it out.

The issue here is that reading a page’s content is considered an “expensive” action. Each page has a budget of 100 expensive actions, and when this is exceeded, the page can’t do any more of them. Thus, for classes with a very large number of members, like Humanoid and SpawnLocation, the generator can’t retrieve all the descriptions, so it substitutes “too many members” instead.

2 Likes

We could work around this if @UristMcSparks raised the value of $wgExpensiveParserFunctionLimit

We could also just manually bake the short descriptions that can’t be loaded due to expensive parser limits into the page, but that’d be unhealthy.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.