Designing clothing around the R15 distortion issues?

R15 works great with the 1.0 body. In this comparison shot you can see the shirt looks identical between the R15 and R6 body types.
r6%20blocky r15%20blocky

However, when using any other body types (such as the Roblox 2.0 torso shown in the shots below), some strange distortion problems become present.
r6 r15

I imagine this distortion doesn’t occur on the 1.0 because of the visible seam it has in the R15 version, but that is just speculation.

How has the community handled this limitation? This has been the primary reason I’ve held off on moving over to R15 because I can’t figure out how to overcome this issue. I’m sure I could design clothing for the R15 version of the package, but then any game that forces the change to R6 will make the shirt look wrong instead.

5 Likes

From my limited experience of tweaking clothing, but with modeling experience I found out that the UV maps from the packages have to account for the “extra” space in the template by skewing them. It’s not an idea solution but a way to work with it is by applying a UV grid on a roblox package and examine how it wraps around the shape.

1 Like

Since I’m a clothing designer, I will say that it’s been a bit of a challenge working between packages and R15. However I do manage pretty well.

Most people learn to just ignore the distortion, but others prefer clothing made specifically for packages or whatnot (which is perfectly doable). On the current clothing template, there are small lines that show where the limbs bend, so that’s a bit helpful with R15. Otherwise it’s just trial and error, or just ignore the distortions.

3 Likes

Agreed, either you focus specifically on a package (including R15) when creating an outfit, or you deal with the distortion, here’s an example for a better understanding:

The packages are unwrapped in such a way that they try to cover the whole cubic template, resulting in anon-consistent square layout which is a way to make clothing somewhat universal on all packages.

edit: hit the wrong reply button :roll_eyes:

1 Like

You can move the distorted parts up some to avoid the seem.

R6 it’s obviously better for clothing and for the average characters (1.0, 2.0, 3.0) where you can dress them up with clothing that ROBLOX, other users or yourself can design, as it has no distorsion. R15 looks better if you use bundles or rthro avatars as the distorsion does match with that kind of body types, making them more realistic, which thing a ‘‘lego’’ or ‘‘blocky’’ looking avatar does not support at all in my opinion.