Detail to cave?

I recently made a simple maze for a game that I am working on. The problem is that the maze itself is very large, and since there is a bit of a heavy deadline on the game I don’t have days/weeks to go over every square inch of it to add detail.

The theme for the maze was a cave, but it doesn’t look much like a cave at the moment… image

Any feedback/suggestions are appreciated.

5 Likes

Can we have some more angles? I can’t even make out a cave in this picture. It just looks like a bunch of similarly colored shapes.

6 Likes

@rolbloxguy1876 That’s pretty much all there is right now. It’s basically just a colored maze without any detail. I’m trying to keep it at a cartoon style to match the game, but as you said it isn’t even really a cave atm.

1 Like

Hey there!

When It comes too a cave they usually have like rocks or different mines. Maybe some vines also hanging down from the walls. If this is low poly try keeping it that. A cave is more rocky I suggest using the slate texture. Maybe have some pickaxes laying around like miners have been there? or maybe crates of dynamite? Looks good keep up the good work :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So when you’re going through a cave you might things like shades, ores, stalagmites/stalactites, bulges from the wall, even water. Also maybe link a game so we can see the structure and walk around it.

2 Likes

Is the style of your cave supposed to be low poly perhaps? If it is, then I would suggest checking out low poly cave themes just in google images for reference. It’s the simplest and
easiest way to find references while also progressing to achieve a certain image in your head

One of the first few images I found was a nice simplistic cave that’s low poly that also looks nice. Obviously you don’t have to make it exactly like this or as professional, but the rocks and spikes shown in the image can be put into your build just perfectly. If you don’t have knowledge working in blender, no worry you can always try and achieve the same look with just basic bricks in Roblox.

Now if you’re going for a more realistic look, you can go for a more rocky/filled in concept that may cause a bit of lag but can look great. This is some work I made pretty recently that gives a more roblox styled reference in mind rather than the low poly image I previously mentioned earlier.

Overall tips to remember is that caves are organic, come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and won’t have blatant obvious patterns in a sense of copy and pasting over and over. They can also have a bit of grass, vines growing inside of them which you can use that to your advantage for detail. Also, never forget to use textures, they’re about as important as the actual mesh/brick itself! It gives the depth and setting to the build so always get great HD textures. Just keep that in the back of your mind while going along and working and I do believe you can achieve your goal of making a more detailed cave and I wish you the best of luck! :smiley:

4 Likes

Hi there! I think you should add some details like torches, small rocks, etc. Try playing with lighting to make it more realistic and make some shadows.

1 Like

To make this cave look better and more realistic than it does you can do the following:

•Make rocks or ores hanging from the ceiling. This will make the cave much more realistic as you can see from google images. Including rocks this can also be crystals or ores hanging.

•Make wooden walls so it looks like an abandoned mineshaft. This is usually common in caves and can also be seen in pictures on google.

•You could also change the lighting so it looks darker in the cave and add shadows in to make it more realistic.

Good luck!

1 Like