Detect when player speaks

How would I be able to check if a player is speaking in voice chat? Would I be able to do it through a roblox script or would I need to use some other API/language? Is there a DevHub post on this?

1 Like

Ask @Po0k , he made game when it detecs when you say On or Off, maybe he can tell the secrets of the universe.

1 Like

The method I was using no longer works since the feature is still under deep development, but basically I was using the now hidden PlayerMicActivitySignalChange feature of VoiceChatService to detect if a person was speaking, then using a RemoteEvent to send mic activity to the server to activate random events.

As of today there’s no way to get it working, since it’s still under serious development. I can see why, since in the time it was available, it was very primitive, I couldn’t detect how loud the player was, or if they were muted or not.

But yeah it’s pretty cool.

8 Likes

As far as I’m aware, it isn’t possible to gather any data from VoiceChatService, other than whether or not the local player has it enabled.

Because this service is so locked down, you may be able to look somewhere in CoreUI from the Roblox menu or the bubble above the players head. This isn’t the most accurate thing in the world, but it’s most likely possible to know when the user is speaking based on changes in UI.

I’ve never done anything related to VoiceChatService in studio yet, so I might be wrong…

2 Likes