Detecting player speed

(Before replying please read ALL of this)
I’m trying to make a camera effect for when you are moving at a certain speed. How would I track the speed at which the player is falling, the speed at which the player is moving forwards, etc. More specifically, how would I track specific variables in velocity? Such as Y-axis velocity.
(not walkspeed)

Hi, this is my first reply so I hope it helps. Parts have a Velocity property that can be read off of, if you read it off of the Humanoid Root Part then you will have an accurate velocity.

3 Likes

Character.PrimaryPart.AssemblyLinearVelocity is a Vector3 value, which contains information about the character’s movement speed (and direction) in the X, Y, and Z axes.

To determine the vertical velocity, you would simply use Character.PrimaryPart.AssemblyLinearVelocity.Y

To determine the speed at which the player is moving forwards, I’m assuming you’re referring to the non-vertical component of the velocity, so it would be Character.PrimaryPart.AssemblyLinearVelocity * Vector3.new(1, 0, 1) (essentially neglecting the Y-component by multiplying it by 0)

If you wanted to find the scalar (non-vectoral) speed at which the character is moving, you can use the magnitude of that velocity, so the speed would be (Character.PrimaryPart.AssemblyLinearVelocity * Vector3.new(1, 0, 1)).Magnitude.

18 Likes

Wait what about?

PrimaryPart.AssemblyLinearVelocity.Magnitude

Does it work too?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.