Detection of hull breach-system

You can write your topic however you want, but you need to answer these questions:

1. What do you want to achieve? Keep it simple and clear!
    I want to create a system for boats that detects enclosed spaces in the hull and detects any hull breaches.

2. What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible!
    I can’t seem to find a place to start. It seems very hard to implement.

3. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub?
    I have searched up some solutions on the dev forum but they weren’t satisfactory.

The game is supposed to be similar the popular game Destroy The Ship! - Roblox. In this game, when the ship has been struck by suppose a torpedo, it can detect that a breach has happened and the ship lists accordingly.

I need a starting point on how I can write this breach detection/enclosed room detection system.

Break it down into little pieces. What events make for a hull breach? Is something touching it? Is it something you can control? If you’re firing random projectiles, then you can make the projectile touch the hull, and you can tell the hull using an event that it’s breached.

My main idea is: Break it down into little pieces. What triggers a hull breach, and then what results from a hull breach. Then work from there. You haven’t really given any details that I can use to help you besides that.

Yea I suppose this could work. The ship will be made out of mostly small parts welded together, so if any weld is destroyed I could detect a hull breach

But what if I wanted to compartmentalise?

Again, what does that mean, compartmentalize. If you have different hull sections, what does that mean for your system. (Break it down into parts)

So nowadays every ship has watertight compartments. When a ship is struck, it prevents water from reaching other parts of the ship by sealing itself. I want to detect when a section has been breached.

So if only one or two compartments have been breached, it won’t sink the ship and only make it develop a list.

You use a body gyro to change the orientation of the ship. Instead of detecting water in the hull, maybe make it so you detect the specific hits in the hull breaches, again, touched events. Then you can “flood” the hull and make it tip as you go. You put all the specific hull segments in a table, and then you balance out the body gyro orientation as such. (BodyGyro might be deprecated, I will check)

It is deprecated. I will look into the hits in hull breaches part tho.

Yeah, use AlignOrientation instead.

Documentation provided here.

1 Like