Develop Tab Renamed to Create

Is the weight of this evidence found to be more important, than say, the website design of that web page branch?

A common thing as Roblox developers for example, we want more players to click to see our game product purchasing prompt, but if the quality of the product itself is lackluster, then it wouldn’t matter that we got so many more people to access it.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. There are more important issues than the name of a button and page.

6 Likes

Personally this just makes me feel as though they’re moving away from any vision of a possible professional development platform with this… :frowning: Roblox Creator Conference

Never heard of “Create” being better than “Develop”, but its obviously not my choice and my opinions don’t matter. Hopefully some voice within mentions something about this. :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

For those of you concerned that this will make Roblox seem less professional, I encourage you to visit the websites of major game engines such as Unity or Unreal. You will notice that many of them use the words create/creation to describe making content. If anything, this change brings us more in line with the rest of the industry.

As mentioned in the original post, we have no plans to rename developers to creators.

20 Likes

Glad to hear that last part :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Personally, I feel like this change would be more welcomed if it were not just the “Develop” tab being renamed to “Create”. Recreating the entire page itself would definitely be more welcoming for more players and developers looking to possibly start creating on Roblox.

5 Likes

I don’t enjoy criticizing Roblox’s workflow, but why did Roblox find it more important to change “Develop” to “Create” than to look into other website features that have already been requested (more group controls, better developer-playerbase interaction features)? I seriously don’t think anyone was bothered by the fact that “Develop” sounds less inclusive. I don’t think anyone specifically wanted this change, so I’m assuming Roblox recently came up with it out of the blue. The Library tab doesn’t have any books, how come we don’t call it the Asset Market instead to clarify its purpose?

EDIT: I’ve re-written my points with a clearer head. Sorry for the brash attitude, I have a number of issues with this change as explained in further replies.

5 Likes

Because resource allocation doesn’t work like that – common pitfall people fall into on the devforum. Short answer is that any given feature probably doesn’t affect the progress of the others you’re thinking of. This could be for any number of reasons:

• Feature being currently worked on is not under the same team that would work on other features
  • Features you would like to be worked on are blocked for one reason and couldn’t be worked on, even if current features were deprioritized
  • Features you would like have scopes of completely different magnitude than that of the feature being worked on (i.e. time saved by deprioritizing one feature has negligible impact on projects with larger scopes)
  • Features you would like to be worked on are actually in-progress behind the scenes, but adding more people to them won’t increase the speed at which they’re delivered

As mentioned in the OP, there was testing done to compare the difference the two names had on the platform. There is factual evidence that “Create” is more engaging than “Develop”, and we know by exactly how much. Regardless of whether the naming should bother anyone, any good developer, whether it be for Roblox games or Roblox itself, will take advantage of psychological tricks like this to optimize their product.

14 Likes

There’s no need to assume that I do not understand that any staff member can’t switch gears from web design to engine development nor that some features require more than a single specialized team; my point is that there are requested features that the website team can work on such as improving Friends page navigation (for example, the ability to unfriend users from the Friends page regardless of whether or not they are banned), yet Roblox’s project manager(s) often overlook them in favor of changes like this. I apologize if this sounds similar to the “Roblox isn’t doing what I want!!!” argument, I do not intend it to be, this is just my perspective as a developer.

What isn’t clear to me is whether this test proved that users who didn’t previously visit the Develop page now do after renaming it, or if users who already frequented the page now visit/navigate it more. And I really don’t understand the phrase “is more accessible,” it implies that it was difficult to reach the page as opposed to users not knowing what the page was for / being unable to find or navigate the page. We haven’t seen the test results, so I don’t believe that “there was a test” is sufficient proof until we can review the data ourselves.

As previously explained, we actually don’t.

I’m not at all saying I disagree with this change, I do agree that terminology-wise it is more accurate, but I’m simply not happy with the change itself. We still don’t know what Roblox plans to do with the /develop and /create URLs, hopefully bookmarks won’t need to be unscrambled.

1 Like

I feel like ‘create’ is more of a fun, kiddy sort of “let’s build a cool place and have admin at it” (like old roblox free model games that every player had). I understand that Roblox has obviously done a lot of research into this, but I don’t see the monetisation in kids making their own (usually bad this isnt meant as an insult or anything, just facts) games that take them away from well made games that facilitate building and creation in an environment that is monetized.

While it’s true that some of those kids will go on to make popular games, the Roblox platform is much more complicated than it was in the past especially with FilteringEnabled which some people in this forum still dont understand and all the new features that are being introduced all the time. I feel like, in my opinion it would be more profitable to create a divide between the players and the developers, since if you want to get any reasonable number of players on a Roblox game these days you need a very well made game and a lot of experience. Roblox obviously doesn’t want to have to attract professional game studios and developers (as in by increasing the percentage developers get etc), and is therefore trying to make their own developers, meaning that when they do make a good game, it will likely be on Roblox and not some other platform.

Sorry if this is badly structured, I was very rushed writing this.

9 Likes

There are many people working on the “website team”, sub-teams working on different parts of the website, etc. It’s best not to argue based on assumptions. Circle back to Echo’s reply above.

I can imagine this was tested via i.e. an A/B test – one fraction of users are shown the Develop tab and the other fraction is shown the Create tab. Then, the click-through to the Develop page is measured in both scenarios. Since the only difference between the scenarios is the Develop/Create label, they can infer what effect changing it to Create would have. Apparently, a positive effect.

“we” refers to Roblox. (Echo is interning at the moment) I don’t see any benefit of Roblox sharing this information with us, it is already explained in the first post how they got to the decision.

4 Likes

I don’t understand what you mean by this in relation to what you quoted me. It sounds like you’re rephrasing Echo’s resource allocation argument versus my argument that Roblox has its website team work on projects that were not exactly motivated (i.e. a wave of complaints about not being able to locate the Develop page). Again, I’m not saying that I expect Roblox to prioritize devforum feature requests, but it seems illogical to me to make a change that people don’t know that they want versus a change that people have already wanted.

This change will definitely require more work than editing the tab’s text - if Roblox does choose to migrate /develop to /create they’ll need people working on this for a short while instead of other parts of the website. So either way it’s not a matter of not having enough available staff members to work on requested features, it’s about Roblox not acknowledging request features for most of their project planning.

You don’t need to explain to me how the test was executed, especially because it’s still based on an assumption; I’m not forcing Roblox to reveal the full details of the test, I’m only curious about what was concluded by the test (whether more users visited Develop or users visited Develop more frequently) and the results themselves. It would really help me understand the importance of changes like these over that of developer-requested changes.

I will acknowledge that I was unaware that EchoReaper had knowledge on the experiment and the results, although this was not made obvious so I assumed he was talking about non-staff developers. The reason why I’m interested in the test results is because saying “we proved it” by itself does not mean anything outside of the group that makes the decision. Beneficially, perhaps the data gathered from the test could help developers better understand naming conventions that don’t confuse their players, I’m personally curious about the type of audience Roblox selected for the experiment since it doesn’t appear that developers were asked to provide any input up until this thread was posted.

I learned the term develop from roblox

Aka as a young creator I did not understand the vocabulary often used.

This simple, yet minor update will just slightly reduce the learning curve.

I see no problem with this.

3 Likes

This change is now live again.

2 Likes

Is this intentional?

Not intentional. We will fix it by linking to the Configure Game page instead of the Develop page (which is much better since if the game is not on the top of your develop page, you have to hunt for it).

Edit: This change is live:

8 Likes

Title still says “Develop.”

13 Likes

We have not renamed the page itself nor do we have any plans to do so. All we did was rename the button which links to this page. We realize this may be confusing to some users.

1 Like

Ever since this change, I’m no longer able to access the develop page on mobile. I sometimes need to be able to access the develop page on mobile easily, and the only way I can do that now is to force my mobile-browser to request the desktop version of the website.

4 Likes

Is this being tested to make sure that this new confusion does not actually reverse the findings from the original data that said “Create” was better than “Develop”?

Edit: For example, player checks out the link in the address bar as they are clicking away and see develop.
Next time they try to find that page again they are looking for the develop keyword and can’t find it