Developer Awards! Phase 1: Swag Bags

Phase 1 I feel is unrealistic to the majority of the community. As only a select few will ever reach 40 million R$ in their lifetime, especially with how Roblox treats our smaller creators at the moment.

Starting with the award itself, it’s cute that we can be awarded some Roblox branded merchandise, though is it worth it? Not in the slightest, as the goal is far out of reach, being the equivalent of $140,000 USD.

5 million lifetime R$ should’ve been the goal from beginning. It’s far more realistic for the community (Not that the community isn’t capable of achieving the original goal.).

2 Likes

Wow this is cool!! The only thing is the price… developers who earn this amount are already earning thousands of pounds, would this bag really mean a lot to them??

I was thing more like 100k robux as that is when you can get for first devex! Surely this would be a better way to introduce these!!

5 Likes

Is this in your account or does it stack in groups?

Also, even Adopt Me devs can’t get these items cause they get paid USD LOL

Against this, but, what if people get added to a dev team or get ranked just for the items
or they abuse with alts?

1 Like

This is cool and all but rewarding people for reaching a milestone that is practically IMPOSSIBLE for small developers like me, who aren’t even recognized in the community is quite the wrong move here, Roblox. You’re giving people who have put hundreds of dollars into the currency for ads the good stuff, and us who can’t even afford a single Robuck without development revenue, which again; NO ONE RECOGNIZES because of the lack of ads, are left in the dust to see them succeed.

Greatly moved, really.

for legal reasons this isn’t a complaint and is a joke.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t mind making them some money, but still, 1400? Like M_caw said, it’s only for some textiles which are way cheaper than 14k. I also agree with MaxFlubber, who said 40 million is an extremely exaggerated amount, and they should lower it to something like 1 million.

1 Like

A gift or two is fine for me, but I agree - it should be all about visits and not money.

3 Likes

This sarcasm is just great lol. Yes 14k USD lets award em some socks.

3 Likes

I agree, what about showcase builders? There are tons of developers putting all their time into projects that won’t be earning much money if at all, but may get high recognition & visits.

2 Likes

I was really hoping that this would settle the controversy of Star Video Creators getting more perks/rewards than Developers. Unfortunately, I think this just stirred it up even more.

Time to add it on to the thread :pensive:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/differences-in-treatment-between-roblox-developers-and-roblox-star-video-creators/446346

Many have brought on good points that this is a dangerous move, as it will reward trash games going on the front page such as simulators or tycoons. Developers who promote those utter garbage are going to be rewarded now. And for what? Inserting a non-effort template on the front page or riding off of the coattails of trendy games?

I can care less about the amount of money you have to make. (I heavily dislike it, but that’s another discussion.) This is announcement is the equivalent of rewarding a child for bad behavior. This is not good.

1 Like

Is that Tix on the socks??? Roblox is hinting something, tix comeback?! :open_mouth:

Just kidding, but still, pretty nice.

1 Like

This announcement in a nutshell.(I might actually lose my temper here)
So basically, this announcement says that if you can buy like literally a few mansions out of the money which you got from developing a “kids game”, you can get these items.
My question is, did roblox EVEN think for a frickin’ moment how many developers can even reach above 10 million robux from other roblox users, like getting that much is a luxury which 97% can’t afford also.
My opinion, this announcement is a waste of time and this decision of awarding just BAGS for getting like a few mansions, is not so stupid right?(IT IS FOR GODDAMN SAKE STUPID)

Unless this is a stupid april fools joke, I am pretty sure over 60% of devforum users, won’t agree to such thing if they read this.(i haven’t read through all posts but I think so)

4 Likes

Ah yes, lets give developers a pair of socks, a hoodie and weird stuff because they made money for us, i mean why the milestones should be 40 Million robux, i mean the most valuable thing in the games are the visits, community impact, but no, you literally gotta have 40M+ robux to get a backpack, scuffed hats and pairs of socks, i mean if this is the response of Developer Relations to all the developers, then its really poorly pooorly made, a backpack, three pairs of sock and scuffed stuff, will not give in return what all the effort that the developers put in the games for just a “Swag Bag”, if you guys are going to reward the developers make it for real milestones, not just the money all of us have made for you.

3 Likes

It’s really nice that Roblox is doing this, but for the first reward I would say 10M Robux instead of 40M Robux. So more developers have a chance to get the rewards, because I think the other rewards will even require higher amounts of Robux.

I don’t really see why some people are so upset with this.

It’s free stuff you get after obtaining $140K+ on Roblox. It’s not like you’re paying for it with $140K. It’s free, and it’s a prize you get after hitting a certain monetary milestone since visits are so easy to fake. It’s definitely something only like the top 200 or 150 devs would receive but it seems to be a pretty neat idea.

I’m curious why they chose such an odd number as $140K though. To me this feels like Roblox attempting to reach out to the top devs by giving them something extra like they do with Star Creators.

I’m not sure if I’ll end up receiving one, but I hope I do at some point. I want those tix socks. :socks:

11 Likes

Great I just saw the truth back in here. It’s and incentive lol

Socks pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Anyway this sounds like a really good idea. Any idea on how long it will last? If it’s treated as an incentive, then uh… gonna need a long time to accumulate that Robux…

The 40M+ requirement sounds like it was calculated based on the number of devs who would meet that requirement. I don’t think roblox wants to push out 10, 000+ bags all across the world. Scaling up the requirement scales down the costs.

Not to mention - it’s free! If you think Roblox doesn’t give you enough as a developer, then you’re much better off campaigning for DevEx improvements, financial security, and Premium features than you are looking a gift horse in the mouth.

And just because this metric is based on income doesn’t mean that the others will be. I’m guessing they chose lifetime Robux as the first metric because it’s the hardest to bot.

2 Likes

I doubt younger Roblox developers to reach that much of lifetime robux though…

Sure, but then again, there’s no valid way of doing critics over a “awards” that only gives a loss to Roblox (free items), it’s a loop of all the posts in this thread, whenever it’s wrong or not to critic something that is technically free to begin with.

And, worst case scenario, There is no accurate or official statement that you’re a “Top Developer” in the community, and i wouldn’t be surprised a lifetime 40M+ Robux would be the definition of Top Dev.

Speaking of lifetime, if the awards are truly available according to a lifetime collection of funds, there is probably already over 1,000 users eligible for it (group rewards is owner + 2 developers of choice)

Delivering more than a thousand awards may be pricy, plus Roblox keeps growing, so even with 40M as the requirement, turns out it won’t come cheap

1 Like