Developer Events | Submissions Open for May - July

Well, I’d assume you can submit a game if it is to a standard where it is playable. If it is missing too much essentials and crucial elements, it is not something possibly getting accepted in the application. I suggest finishing the game to a standard point for it to be playable before submitting.

Yeah and basically now all the rewards you get are locked to the game itself and not the platform. So the reward doesn’t really matter unless its a game you play consistently or plan to play consistently. So half the new users that you get from the event advertisement that won’t become a ‘regular’ player wouldn’t even be able to make use of the reward they do get if they complete the event.

If you had got a new catalog item, and someone asked where you got it, you could tell them “x game is running an event” but this won’t happen. Word of mouth will only spread among your current users, not the new users.

Basically there’s no reason to participate in the events unless you want to check out the events itself. Theirs no incentive from the platform. It’s like when a popular game that lost most of its momentum do a huge update and get a wave of players again, only for it to die out in a week.

Essentially that’s what Roblox is doing. And its not beneficial for new games, mainly for already established games. So basically the general use is running live op events for featured games.
The program just happens to be extended to everyone so that not only featured games can monopolize the feature.

As of now the only thing that works cross games on this platform are the avatars.

@oneandonlyralph

5 Likes

Couldn’t you argue this is what happened with monthly events anyway? That “people simply went for the hat” and then simply left, never to play the game again. How is that any better for the developer? They get a temporary influx.

Also, it’s the developers fault if they cant keep a fresh player base all the time. Keeping up with constant updates and events to engage their fans is essential. This theoretical situation of “lost momentum” is the fault of the developer, not roblox.

Because if the game itself can choose what catalog item they wish to give away, then the game is giving away an exclusive in-game item anyway. In which case not every game is giving away the same items. This still makes the game worth playing, this still allow the items to be used in other games outside of the game running the event.

This will be a thousand times more effective, if creators were able to create catalog items themselves.

This still allows players to boast about their new item and cause an even greater influx of players. Sure it’s possible it’ll still be temporary. But there’s a better chance that player will become a regular.

A developer can only release the updates they have the capacity to make. Otherwise the quality of the update could effect the overall quality of the game. Saying a developer should be able to keep up with constant updates to engage their fans, when the developer has essentially 0 fans, or a very small number is catering to the already established games as per your previous post.

The lost of momentum can indeed be the developers fault, but no game has any momentum unless they can create a backing behind it. And currently you’ll have to plaster your game across multiple sources such as DevForums Bulletin, What are you working on, cleverly linking your game when possible in relevant replies, and spending a crap ton of Robux on advertisment. As well as encouraging your community to take some of the above actions as well or interact with them.

And the sad part is that’s a lot more effective than this will ever be if it continues as it is now.

5 Likes

I do agree in-game developer events could be helped with the issuing of UGC for the catalog.

But,

It’s the developer that needs to make a game that can create momentum behind it. Advertising of many means will mean nothing if the game simply isn’t good.

It’s not always going to be easy. These categories such as “featured” and soon to be category for live-ops will be a quality filter for users as a dependable place to find good games.

2 Likes

@ the conversation above, I posted this is the Live-Op Events thread the OP is referring to. Refocusing dev rel’s objectives going forwards benefits developers with more features, which directly benefits the players. The recent improvements to the Studio camera, shadowmaps, and the dozen or so fairly significant updates coming this year alone is because of this refocusing. You can’t have dev rel managing event teams (which are short lived) and being communication bridges to other departments (which is long-lived).

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Roblox 2019 Events Update

Please put feedback on replacing events with LiveOps in the correct thread.

Seems like featured games but just with extra steps…

5 Likes

And with less requirements . You have to be top 250 to be eligible for being featured last I heard :c

Alright i think i was not thinking about that thanks for the head up, i just needed a full understanding about this!!

Yeah, no… I’m not going to name any, but I’ve seen “Featured Hogs” who only survive off of the Featured section. I’ve also seen many games much much worse than what you would find on popular

2 Likes

It almost similar to how Club Penguin used to give Non Membership Players free Items after finishing the event and being rewarded a Prize.

I also think Rthro Events like Nike, NFL Super Bowl LIII, WrestleManina are going to be used for the new op events to keep new users thriving since Rthro Packages come with the whole pack like Hats,Limbs,Face, or anything related etc.

before that you used to have to constantly collect the whole item one by one but with Rthro Packages it includes the whole thing since if the items are apart of the body than it makes everything easier.
but at the same time both Ops and Seasonal/Monthly Events would be appreciated👍

1 Like

I’ve submitted an application for a date in July. I’m wondering what the timeline is like for devrel to let an applicant know they’ve been accepted or not?

Hey, What do I do if I submit a request, but don’t get a reply before the date? Do I just host the event, or do I wait? Just Curious.

1 Like

Can I reserve myself a Live-Ops spot even though my game is not done yet? So I can actually get it done 2 weeks before Live-Ops end.

The events where worth it. Mostly because it will increase the rate of players in your game, after the players come to your game, they will hopefully see how good your game is, then play it.

Hope I helped. :slight_smile:

No you really didn’t, sorry.

There is still nothing special about LiveOps and the player boost you get may as well be only temporary if you don’t have appropriate retention strategies applied - even then, the playerbase you earned isn’t guaranteed to stick.

LiveOps doesn’t differ from the promotional strategies already offered that aren’t staff run, such as sponsored games and ads. Your game is just put on a page in the sidebar, that’s all.

Roblox left a very special part of the community behind for a glorified version of Featured Games (a page dedicated to displaying LiveOps promotions).

I still don’t see the point of using it.

2 Likes

I do not think there is a point of liveops, but there was a point of EVENTS.

2 Likes

…yes, that’s what I said.

Events and LiveOps are two different things despite it trying to be shoved to us that they are the same and an adequate replacement for events.

My point is that I don’t see the benefits of LiveOps when other options are readily available for you to use to attract a playerbase.

1 Like

Oh I thought they were basically the same thing. Sorry for the misunderstanding.