Developer Modules: Instant Social Features

Highly agreed! This would make it much easier to fork and create our own changes.

In addition, if these were added to the Wally package registry then it’d be simplistic to install for those in a Rojo environment.

4 Likes

Great addition! I am excited to add these to my projects in the coming days.

4 Likes

Appreciate you adding such cool social features so we can all have more tools at our disposal to help make our experiences the best they can be.

4 Likes

Oh cool, that will be useful :o

3 Likes

the emote bar actually seems awesome, there are some flaws though. first of all, this code example in the docs will result in an error

code example

Documentation

it seems to be because of this assert

assert(check(emotesArray))

after some digging, I found this. code in the docs contains a key beats which is not here so the assertion fails
I think it should’ve been order not beats, simply removing that key fixed it tho.

I also don’t like the fact that EmoteBar.setEmotes can only be called from the server. players can’t have unique emotes this way, which is rather limiting. If it was allowed on the client, we could probably make an emote shop/inventory where players could equip/unequip/swap the emotes. From what I can see this seems impossible as of now, we could utilize the emote lock but that’s not flexible enough.

There are some other bugs I’ve found but it might just be that I’m sleepy and am doing something wrong, going to report them later.

Overall though, this is a great resource and will surely help a lot of developers (including myself) out. Thanks for open sourcing this.

10 Likes

Thank you for detailed the feedback! That is an error in our documentation and we are looking into fixing it shortly. The example should have beats removed and will look like the following:

EmoteBar.setEmotes({
    {
        name = "Cheer",
        animation = "rbxassetid://5895324424",
        image = "rbxassetid://6998668686",
        defaultTempo = 1,
    },
    {
        name = "Dance",
        animation = "rbxassetid://5915648917",
        image = "rbxassetid://6998677312",
        defaultTempo = 2,
    },
})

order is used internally by the Emote bar, so you don’t need to pass it to setEmotes.

12 Likes

I did pop this in a feedback form as well, but each module (particularly friends locator and emote bar) should have explicit enable/disable methods.

There’s times when I don’t want the emote wheel to open, or don’t want the emote bar to be there, times when I want any active emotes to be killed, and when I don’t want the friends locator to show.

It’s currently hard to achieve this within the config options provided, and I don’t fancy digging through tons of modules to work out where best to insert that logic myself if at all avoidable.

6 Likes

This is honestly one of the greatest social updates! The friend locator especially is great for finding friends in large and crowded servers! Great work ROBLOX!

5 Likes

Hey! This is amazing that Roblox is doing this. Is there any way I can reposition the emotes menu? At the current moment it is overlapping my mobile UI.

4 Likes

I have a question about the photo booth. Is there any way I can make it do the custom StarterCharacter avatar the game sets? The avatar is a noob with the players own hats applied to it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! We will be looking into adding this configuration in future versions of these dev modules.

For the time being you can hide the Emote Bar using the provided API EmoteBar.setGuiVisibility(false) in a LocalScript.

5 Likes

Hey! This is amazing that Roblox is doing this. Is there any way I can reposition the emotes menu? At the current moment it is overlapping my mobile UI.

Not at the moment but we will look into including it in a future version of the Emote Bar! If you want to try digging into the code, in EmoteBar.ReplicatedStorage.EmoteBar.Components.EmoteBar the variable emoteBarPosition controls the position of the Emote Bar. Changing that should allow you to move the Emote Bar to where you want. Otherwise, look out for future updates!

I have a question about the photo booth. Is there any way I can make it do the custom StarterCharacter avatar the game sets? The avatar is a noob with the players own hats applied to it.

Unfortunately, this is not supported by the PhotoBooth. However, if you want to look into coding it yourself I would suggest taking a look at PhotoBooth.ReplicatedStorage.PhotoBooth.Components.Printout

4 Likes

That also makes it easier for me to make maps

2 Likes

I figured it out! For anyone who wants it, this is the code. I did lazily put it together though. You replace line 23 with this code:

local character = Players:CreateHumanoidModelFromDescription(Players:GetPlayerByUserId(self.props.userId).Character:FindFirstChild("Humanoid"):GetAppliedDescription(), Enum.HumanoidRigType.R15, Enum.AssetTypeVerification.Default)
2 Likes

That’s right, no need to credit anything for using these!

5 Likes

Ah okay, I found with the Emote Wheel config selected this didn’t work - it just hid it, but could be opened again by clicking your character. It didn’t disable the functionality.

The Emote Bar seems to have different behaviour - once hidden it can’t be re-opened until it’s set true again.

It might be worth noting this difference in the documentation somewhere, for those who choose to go with the wheel.

2 Likes

As soon as an “anti-exploit” script is made publicly available, it is immediately possible for exploiters to find a way to work around it. Such scripts to prevent specific exploits only work if nobody has access to them.

Not to mention they have to be made for specific games, there’s no one size fits all when it comes to preventing exploits.

3 Likes

it’s sad how roblox is ceasing to be roblox, and is turning into something like CORE, but with the graphics that define roblox, that is slowly dying, as is replacing the avatar, old textures, and adding adopt me social elements, I am not saying that it is wrong, it is my own opinion

3 Likes

Awesome!! Been working on a largely social game throughout the last year. I was literarily just talking about how cool it would be if these tools went open source, and sure enough they did! I can’t wait to see how I can incorporate these!! :raised_hands:

3 Likes

This is a great update! great job to the staff team that contributed to this update .My favourite is probably gonna be the Freinds Locator and Spawn with Freinds, and again Amazing job

3 Likes