Developer Roadmap Update: 2021

Correct. It was removed for being off topic, apparently.

Roadmap interestingly seems to cater towards the developer more this time, rather than the platform.

I can’t actually get excited considering the performance of previous roadmaps tend to hype up the community then around the end of the first or second quarter, all questions are ignored and the roadmap may as well be set to finish nothing.

I do remember for the 2020 roadmap there was supposed to be sometime in October / November / December the beginning of improved audio tooling things like parametric curves and attributes as were said. It was taken off the roadmap at some point in 2020 I was just wondering why this was removed from the roadmap I was really looking forward to having access to more features regarding audio. I was disappointed to see it removed, but it’s understandable.

1 Like

…Which would make it very impractical for almost all games. Thing is though, Roblox has been messing with Terrain LoD more and more, so I’m assuming they’re preparing for lower voxel studs. Hopefully I’m not wrong on this.

Can we get 4K image support added sometime soon? Alternatives to this are a pain.
Can we get the ability to change the animation easing via nodes and curves on the animation editor?
Can we get the ability to change the textures on terrain?
Can we get the ability to change what is actually considered vegetation on terrain with the option to define what vegetation material it can be on?
Can we get the ability to create our own shaders?

tytyty

I’d like it if you allowed for :GetConnectedParts() to take into account the non-rigid joints too.

Just a small initial update to the roadmap, as we only recently announced it:

• Parallel Lua
    • Launch Date: TBD → Q1 2021
  • Procedural Skies
    • Renamed to Procedural Skies v0
    • Launch Date: TBD → Q1 2021
  • Updated Build-in Materials
    • Added to Roadmap as an upcoming feature
  • Context-aware Autocomplete
  • Procedural Skies v1

As things settle down, we expect to shift into a monthly cadence of updates.

23 Likes

Script Version History says that it’s in Open Beta - are there instructions anywhere on how to enroll? I didn’t see an option in the Studio Beta Features as of this morning.

Will there be any edits to show shelved goals from the 2020 Roadmap?

Some things like Large Object Stores at one point were displayed as Live with no announcement about them.

2 Likes

Hey, one of the reasons we are now running an improved roadmap format is definitely to reduce these kinds of situations. One thing I’d mention - just because it was on the 2020 roadmap, and is no longer on the 2021 roadmap, does not mean we’re not working on it. One of the results of us showing a roadmap that we’re more confident in is that we no longer show items which have higher risk launch windows. As such, those items will definitely end up appearing on the roadmap before they launch, once we’re confident we know what they look at like, and when they’ll be releasing.

Thanks

7 Likes

Hey all, quick monthly update to the roadmap, can be found here.

Changelog
Features Changed:

• Teleport API simplification - now released
  • Asset Manager - Universe Level - now released
  • Heightmaps v2 - now in open beta
  • Updated Build-In Materials - now in open beta
  • Universe Memory Store renamed to Memory Store, pushed to Q2
  • Procedural Skies v0 / v1 merged into ‘Procedural Skies’ and pushed to ‘later’

Features Added:

• Attributes - added, now released
  • Increased Game Join Security - added, on track for Q1
  • Outlines for Parts/Models - added, on track Q2
  • Allow Renaming of Groups - added, on track for ‘later’
  • Open Cloud - added, on track for ‘later’

Features Removed:

• No features removed
20 Likes

I have some feedback for the rendering team regarding the “model outlines” feature shown on the roadmap:

Outlines would be really useful if developers could control the ZIndex at which they are rendered. That is, outlines should have two “modes” - in one mode, they render normally. In another mode, they render on top of everything else, except for screen UIs. My personal use-case for this is outlining the avatars of players that killed you in a death screen, and showing that outline on-screen regardless of if the avatar is behind a wall or not.
Another useful feature of outlines would be the ability to change the thickness of the outline (within reason, I don’t think a 5 mile wide outline would be of any use to anyone). Different games have different art styles, so having thick outlines for more “oily” games would be beneficial, while having thinner outlines for more photorealistic games.

5 Likes

What… How do you mean the alternatives are a pain?

Lower quality images designed to be higher quality and shift the quality of your game to something that doesn’t look as great is an alternative and is not good. This is what I meant. Same goes for splitting images to retain some sort of quality. If you’ve ever attempted to split an image to retain quality, you’ll probably know what I’m talking about more.

Guys has anyone got any idea when the group fund transfer update will be released? I have been looking to find anymore information on this. I so not think it is on the road map… or if it is i might not of seen it. Please can someone tell me a bit more information on this please? I would be quite greatful.

I’m frankly interested in comprehending what Memory Store is and what its uses may be. I couldn’t exactly understand it just from the description being displayed on the roadmap.

Roadmap just recently got updated, sucks that memory store got delayed once again all the way to Q3. Authenticator in Q2 is REALLY good though.

New roadmap update, can be found here.

Changelog
Features Changed:

• Automatic Translation for Games - now Rolling Out
  • Script Version History - now Rolling Out
  • Custom Materials (Open Beta) - now launching Q2
  • Heightmaps v2 (Open Beta) - now launching Q2
  • Parallel Lua (Open Beta) - now launching Q2
  • Updated Build-in Materials (Open Beta) - now launching Q2
  • Datastore Improvements - now in Closed Beta, and launching Q3
  • Dev analytics standard dashboard - now in Closed Beta, and launching Q4
  • Find (All) / Replace (All) - now in Open Beta, and launching Q2