DevForum Bloxies---a Way to Acknowledge and Reward the Community's Best Contributors

Hello everyone!

I’ve been recently snooping around DevFourm users’ profiles and some of them truly shocked me–I think my heart may have stopped beating for an instant! There are some excellent people on this Forum that have contributed majorly. One way to see that is by looking at the number of likes in their top replies and top topics (wow, that’s kind of fun to say). Another way is to notice their like to post ratio (divide the likes received by the number of posts created). Anything above 3 is very good and anything above a 5 is a downright jaw-drop following by admiring applause. Those are the things I find in people’s profiles that render me speechless, but there are many more ways of evaluating someone’s contributions.

I believe that “top” users should be acknowledged and recognized in some way. There should be something like the DevForum Bloxys (or some other fancy award name that works) which is structured very much like the Bloxys. For example, there can be different categories with a winner and runner-ups for each. Such categories can include most likes, longest read time, most days visited, most posts viewed, most solutions, and etc. I don’t know exactly what would work the best, but the DevForum Bloxys can be near the end of each year. The numbers for each category can be counted for the period of time from the last DevForum Bloxys to the upcoming one (so the same people don’t get rewarded every year).

Winners of each category can get a special cyan, diamond badge (and/or other rewards) that works and is displayed the same as existing badges.

So, what do you guys think of this idea? (or something similar)

• I support it
  • I don’t support it

0 voters

If you have any other thoughts, feel free to reply.

Obviously, I won’t go into every nook and cranny of the event, I’ll just put forth the general idea and see if it has potential. Besides, the Roblox Staff can easily sort that out (if/when this idea gets approved).

Thank you for taking my idea into consideration,
and have a great day!

6 Likes

How would this work? Considering the process is now automated there’s gonna be like a million people able to be nominated. By the way, there’s already champions. Oh and favouritism. I believe the “top contributor” and “champion” title is enough and doesn’t require its own bloxy.

6 Likes

As I mentioned above, I’m not really diving into the details–first I’m just seeing how well this can be.

The threshold can be set higher to prevent average people from being nominated.

Sure yes, but they don’t get publicly recognized. No one gets a notification or a way of knowing if anyone gets ranked as a “top contributor”. Plus, this does not really emphasize their exact statistics the same way that I envision the DevForum Bloxys would.

1 Like

I just don’t believe a bloxys for this would be necessary, it wouldn’t be of use to non-developers on the main platform, and plus people can get out there and promote themselves by constantly contributing, like making tutorials and resources often.

2 Likes

I don’t see this working… Most of the more well-established users will be the ones to “snatch” all the rewards instead of people actually contributing to the site on a daily basis.

4 Likes

The idea does not work well with the current intentions of DevForum. DevForum is a ground for discussing development, trivial questions but also requesting assistance about something. Not a place for cluttering around with achievements to show off.

8 Likes

Going off your idea, a some sort of competition for DevForum members is brilliant! All though a Bloxy for the DevForum wouldn’t sound right, for two reasons:

1. Most the community, might even say 80%, doesn’t even know what the DevForum is, making it hard to vote
  2. The amount of actives users in the devforum is huge! There are a lot of possible nominees, and you just have to pick 4 of them or maybe 3. It’s quite tough.

Another idea would be to make a tournament or an event for the DevForum’s community! Something like a gamejam, or a “Member of the year” or “Member of the Month” thing. There are really a lot of things you can come up with.

3 Likes

I’m going to be honest, I don’t think people joined the forum just to be recognized. I think it’s nice that there are already personal tags based on contribution, but bloxy awards?

Look, I don’t know how you feel about awards in general, and I know that a lot of people like awards/rewards. But to be honest, most people here aren’t helping people because they’re trying to get a trophy. No one here is really trying to gain recognition for the work they put in. Believe it or not, some people (probably the so-called “top” users you speak of) care about helping people. There are so many open source modules and projects. There are a lot of active users daily that try to help people they have never met before. If you start attaching fame to good deeds, it takes away the humility that used to come with it. We don’t need to celebrate people because they have likes, and I’m pretty sure that there are some “top” users that don’t want a celebration, either.

4 Likes

Awards should be intentionally vague, you should not be able to define them based on some known data-point. The reason for this is gaming the system. If we were to give out awards for most days visited, most solutions, etc. People would game the system to make sure they won. An award for the most solutions does not imply the solutions were good, or the people awarding them even awarded them to the right person. This is the reason YouTube won’t tell you how they decide which videos to recommend to their users.

Also, I question the need for such awards. The developer forum is a place for developers to come together. The Bloxys are awarded to developers for their work on Roblox. In other words, these users are already receiving recognition for their work.

If you’re talking about those who give consistently good replies and help users out on the forums themselves, we have different titles such as top contributor, champion, and sage for these people.

10 Likes

I dont support it. Devforum is a place for seeking help. Discussing game development topics but not for showing off awards. I find this unnecessary.

2 Likes

I think it is a very honorable thing of you to think of the people on devforums and want to give them awards, but I honestly don’t believe it is such a good idea. There are a multitude of problems that would probably arise from this, but to name some it would be hard to find people who would qualify since there are so many members on the devforum, also the winners for categories like “longest read time” “most solutions” “most posts viewed” are going to make members start using devforums in the way it wasn’t intended they would start spamming on posts, making posts that are incredibly long and useless, grab some of their friends to make posts and then they would reply and their friends would mark it as a solution, things like that. I feel like what makes the Bloxys so special is how secluded they are, by opening it up the devforums it doesn’t really have the element of special then.

If you have any solutions/comments to what I said, feel free to reply back, I’m all ears!

4 Likes

I like the idea, however, the DevForum is meant for development discussion, not as a place to show off your forum rank. Adding awards would promote showing off that you are a better user of the DevForum than other people, and that’s not what the DevForum is about - it’s meant to help people with any building, scripting, game design support, to show tutorials that are helpful to the community, and to report bugs about the website, the game engine, etc.

5 Likes

Interesting idea. While I can’t really say whether having a devforum bloxies would be a good idea or not (though I’d err on the side of probably not, as they’re meant to be a celebration of the community as a whole and not a subset), I love seeing new ideas for Roblox to support their developers in a more public way (e.g. Twitter shoutouts, blog posts, etc.).

3 Likes

This could encourage botting of post likes unfortunately. I also don’t see how this would benefit non-devforum users. What category would be valid to? Would there be a best building advice and best art advice awards, basically what I’m asking is would there be rewards for every sub forum

3 Likes

The purpose of the forum is not to get rewards such as the Bloxy, but to help others and to keep track of updates, so no, I don’t support it.

But let’s say we do, people would want to join the forums, but then most of them are just here for the prizes. A lot of people would give unmeaningful comments in the hopes of getting that would ruin the purpose of the forum, or making it annoying to read.

5 Likes

I fully agree with you Dev forum would just be a contest and not be such a nice place. People would just try to get there alt’s and make it unfair.

3 Likes

Agreed. Devforum could be messed up if this was implemented.

4 Likes

Sorry, gonna have to disagree on this one, people can just abuses and grind daily and make useless post just to get an award.

4 Likes

Many of the best users of the subforum have awful ratios for statistics. Look at Stravant, Anaminus, IdiomicLanguage. Their posts are too technical for most developers to find them valuable.

Rewarding ratios means rewarding surface-level content for newbies. I don’t like it. Any popularity contest of this sort is meaningless. If users are to be awarded, it should be based on selection, not statistics.

3 Likes