DevLog 3 》RoStats - Stats For You!

Previous Devlog ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​Next Devlog

​ ​ ​​ ​ ← ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​

Hello I am @NamelessGuy2005! This is my third DevLog of RoStats. Before we get into the devlog I want to re-introduce this project.

RoStats, will be a website where you can see stats of different roblox developers, such as

• Discord and Roblox account names and profile pictures
  • Skills (Development Fields - scripting, building, modelling, etc) ranked into 4 levels
  • Status Tags - preset statements that a developer can apply onto their profile (for hire, not for hire, hiring, not hiring)
  • Indicators - a message on a developer’s profile that states the trustworthiness of said developer

Okay, now that everyone is caught up with what the website is now lets get into the updates I have made to the website.

Change 1: Goodbye Discord Signup And Signin

for the longest time, RoStats used discord as a way for users to signup and signing, it has now changed to a more traditional way. All your passwords will be stored in a secure way, we are taking account security very seriously.

new signup and login

Poll Time: When a user fills out the skill application it goes to a team of developers to be reviewed. To make things fair there will be a criteria that reviewers will have to follow. Could you guys vote if you think the criteria is good and maybe give me feedback in the form of a reply.

Scripting Criteria

level 1

• can create simple scripts
  • understands the concept of OOP
  • can use functions, variables and properties

level 2

• can create simple projects
  • can use remote events and functions
  • actively tries to comment their scripts

level 3

• can theoretically create monetisable games
  • can create a good client to server model
  • their scripts are organised

level 4

• have scripted for successful game(s) in the past
  • their knowledge of roblox studio is excellent
  • can work in a team of other developers

Building Criteria

level 1

• can create simple builds
  • understands how to use the basic build tools
  • can use colors and materials

level 2

• they use colors and materials best suited to their build
  • can use the union and negate tools
  • their builds contain lots of detail

level 3

• their builds have depth
  • their builds are made up of complex shapes
  • can create advanced recognisable builds

level 4

• have built for successful game(s) in the past

Animating Criteria

level 1

• is familiar with a animation editor
  • can create simple animations

level 2

• can use IK
  • can create animations for custom rigs

level 3

• can create fluid animations on any rig
  • can setup a custom rig for animating

level 4

• have animated for successful game(s) in the past

Modelling Criteria

level 1

• is familiar with a 3D modelling software

• can create simple objects

• can create simple textures
    level 2

• can utilise uv mapping

• can render appealing scenes

• can deform shapes to make more advanced models

level 3

• can create advanced models to suite a certain theme
  • can create a variety of complex objects

level 4

• have modelled for successful game(s) in the past
  • their knowledge of modelling is excellent

Art Criteria

level 1

• can make simple designs
  • is familiar with some sort of art program

level 2

• can create artwork that at least one certain audience deems appealing

level 3

• can create artwork to a high standard

level 4

• have made artwork for successful game(s) in the past

Composing Criteria

level 1

• can make simple tracks
  • is familiar with some sort of composing software

level 2

• can create music/sfx that at least one certain audience deems appealing

level 3

• can create music/sfx to a high standard

level 4

• have made audio tracks for successful game(s) in the past

Interfacing Criteria

level 1

• can make simple guis
  • is familiar with the basic gui instances

level 2

• can make gui’s intuitive and user friendly

level 3

• can create a uniquely styled gui

level 4

• have made GUI’s for successful game(s) in the past

Tailoring Criteria

level 1

• can create custom clothes

level 2

• create simple shaded clothes
  • can create clothing that looks recognisable

level 3

• can create clothing with unique ideas

level 4

• have made clothing for successful game(s) in the past

Are The Criteria’s Good?
  • Yes, all of them are good!
  • Needs Improvement!
  • No, all of them are bad!

0 voters

also here is discord link if you are interested in the project: Discord

15 Likes

As a builder, I think that one is perfectly fine! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As usual, great job! Wait so did the developer ranks and levels we where talking about on discord get released?

1 Like

since the ranks and levels are part of the skill system of the website, and that the website isn’t released, therefore the ranks and levels aren’t released.

BETA testing will take place early march :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok! Ill make sure to watch announcements in discord.

1 Like

Also, 1 more thing. For the criteria of composer and artist, I don’t think the criteria for level 4 should be knowledge of studio, because I am an experienced composer but I personally don’t use studio because I don’t need it for my work.

1 Like

What about translators? Why is there no criteria for them? That ain’t fair.

Anyways, I’m waiting now, so I want to opt in for Early Beta, please. Thanks.

1 Like

Join the discord server for RoStats

1 Like

Oh, okay. Thanks! I’ll be sure to join today.

1 Like

Hello! Currently there are 8 skills, this is due to limitations in my code that only allows for up to 8. We are working on adding more skills such as Translator and Voice Actor.

2 Likes

I feel this concept is flawed, what determines whether you can make simple scripts or understand the concept of OOP? You’re also saying the user should understand the concepts of OOP when they are programming in a language that is not designed as an object-oriented paradigm, whilst you can do “OOP” using metatables (rather metatable-oriented programming) that is irrelevant to the point and should instead be changed to understand the concept of metatables. I don’t see how any of these statistics can be judged by a developer without giving them access to an entirely coded place that makes use of every single one of them. What would stop me going on google and googling the answers to the form to get everyone to hire me? The concept would work better if it used a portfolio type solution, rather than examining the developers on skills that can be demonstrated in hundreds of different ways.

4 Likes

Thanks for your reply. Roblox is OOP as you work with objects (instances). Also the application will ask the developer to upload photographic evidence which will be reverse image searched. developers will also be able to link their portfolio in the application for more validation of the skill the developer deserves. No matter which way we get the info and categorise it, after all the stats won’t be able to display every developers skill level in detail there is limited space to put the info, but it does give developers a good idea of another developers skill.

1 Like

Roblox is a platform, not a programming language so it can’t be OOP. I believe the stat should be changed to say “Understands the concept of instances” or similar.

1 Like

as a modeller i find the criteria for level 4 rather strange as none of the three have anything to do with 3d modelling itself with the exception of studio knowledge which is also something you barely need when modelling.

1 Like

okay :slight_smile: . thanks for your advice :stuck_out_tongue:

na, you are good, it is good rn

Yea, the criteria isn’t final yet, if you have any suggestions do post them though either here or in the discord.

I’d say I’d roughly be about in the second level but I have to confess I use grouping, not unions and negations. Can someone explain that to me?

Will you add website programming?
And things like discord bot making?
Tbh a lot of level 4 stuff is wack
And what do you mean by:

?

Hello! this basically means that a certain type of audience, overall, enjoys the builds. looking on your feedback I think it should be changed to "can create artwork that is overall appealing

even though those things aren’t purely focussed on Roblox itself, they could be an idea to implement in the future!

This seems great and all, but it seems like there will be an insane amount of manual labor required to read all of the developer applications for the various categories/levels. What if instead of the developer linking you their portfolio, or whatever it may be, they could be assigned a skill-level project they need to complete to get to the next level? Upon completion they’d submit a form or application with their game link and it should be something so simple that someone reviewing the application can join, check it out, and leave the game within 20 seconds. That would be much less labor intensive.

Example projects for scripting level 1:
Make a part change colors every 1 second
Make a part move 10 studs forward and 10 studs backward
Make a part go invisible when a player touches it and become visible again after 5 seconds

If you had multiple projects per level and randomly assigned one of the projects to the player, it would sort of help prevent cheating. Your level-based projects could require the developer to incorporate all of the criteria(functions, loops, etc) into the project.

(You may also want to edit the description of the post to say third DevLog instead of second)

3 Likes