DevProduct for HUNDREDS of items in the Shop

Hi all,

I am currently working on a shop which holds hundreds of items. I plan on making the items purchasable with in-game coins and give the player the option to purchase the item with Robux. What would be the best alternative to do than to create a devproduct for each item?

So far the best solution I’ve found is to make a token system, where a player purchases a token with robux and uses it to get any item in the shop they want. Is there a better way to proceed?

How exactly should I go about doing this?
Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

just make your own currency to use in game, or use devproducts normally

1 Like

I think you can use API services to get all the DevProducts in your game and put them into a gui. Then you can display the roblox amount recieved from API and then there can be an in-game currency amount next to it which could be like the robux amount * 2 or however you’d like.

@a19_9

I believe you missed this part:

@bytesleuth

I initially thought there was a way to store a table of information when prompting purchases and getting this table when handling the transaction. Do I really have no choice but to make a devproduct for each item?

If all the items have a different price I would imagine yeah. If some of them have the same price then perhaps you could use the same one. The downside to this though is the icon and name will appear the same.

A way developers avoid making DevProducts for each and every item on their shop is to make their own currencies, and make those currencies purchasable with robux instead! Then you could price those hundred items as both the normal game currency, and the currenty you can spend robux on.

You could also make one dev product for a set amount, like 250 robux, 500 robux, 1000 robux, and reuse its id for purchases instead of making 2 different items for the same amount of robux.

1 Like

That’s good, because the price would depend on the rarity (Common, Uncommon, Rare) and I only have 3 rarities. However, if two items share the same devproduct, how exactly would I be able to tell which one the player intends to purchase?

My original design was to use the in-game currency for crates which give you a random item with specific rarity chances and you could use robux to purchase specific items instead.

The player would have to tell the server what they intend to purchase I suppose.

Make one dev product for each set amount. Prompt to buy such product whenever they attempt to buy the product, and once the purchase is completed, give them the item

Since I don’t want to make hundreds of devproducts and worry about hardcoding each and every single one of them to a specific item and eventually adding even more items to the shop, I’ll stick to the tokens system.

You can purchase Common Tokens, Uncommon tokens or Rare tokens and you may use them to unlock as many items of the corresponding rarity as you want.