Game Link: Oil Warfare Tycoon - Roblox

System Information:

• Intel Core i9 12900K
  • 64Gb DDR5 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080Ti
  • 500Gb Sata SSD
  • High speed 1gig internet connection via Ethernet

Expected Behavior

NPC Dialog should work like usual, regardless if the Bubble Chat is enabled or not. (This was how it was before)

Actual Behavior

NPC Dialog Prompt shows up but the chat message does not appear at all if BubbleChatEnabled is disabled in the Chat properties.

Here is an example video of the issue:
(Left tab is with setting off, Right tab is how it should be working)
Example Video

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Other
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-10-07 00:10:00 (-07:00)

11 Likes

It appears they have also broken Chat:Chat which causes my NPCs to break and not say what they want to order even when BubbleChat is enabled in the game. I have gotten multiple reports from our players that they are completely unable to interact with a core part of our game since yesterday. This apparently does not happen to them on mobile devices and only desktop devices.

Attempting to use this code:

game:GetService("Chat"):Chat(game.Workspace.popeeyy, "Hello!", "Red")

Will result in the following:

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I meant to post this the other day, but we have prioritized this issue and will be working on it over the next week or two.

7 Likes

You can use the legacy chat before the fix.
I do that on my game My Prison. Bubbles on characters and work with the legacy chat.

2 Likes

Has any progress been made on this issue? It’s quite frustrating that with adopting new features we have to wait so long for core functionality to return after disappearing out of nowhere. We have had to enable legacy chat service again, but that also breaks another less important part of our experience since we have migrated our code to work with TextChatService.

1 Like

Have Roblox published any updates on this issue or its importance and priority?

It’s very frustrating and can slow down work with developers who rely on NPC dialogue and a more immersive talking system within their none player characters or models.

I’d like to see how Roblox will be implementing this into their TextChatService as TCS relies on text channel input to send messages and B-Chat displays.

1 Like

We are planning on releasing a fix for this next week if all goes well.

3 Likes

Thank you so much. It literally broke my shopkeeper NPC dialog and waste me so many hours finding out why…

Hi everyone, this issue should now be resolved! If you still encounter this or any other issues with bubble chat dialogues, please create a new topic for us to look into.

4 Likes

Hi, this issue is still not resolved. The exact same problem that I reported is still happening?

Hi we just created an empty place with dialogs (Dialog | Roblox Creator Documentation) on parts and confirmed that dialogs appear with chat bubbles. Could you tell us:

• When this is happening
  • The version you are on
  • What device you’re using
  • Any reproduction steps/files with the issue so we can debug

Thank you!

To confirm, do you have BubbleChatConfiguration.Enabled set to True or False?

Sorry about the late response.

When this is happening
It is happening all the time for me.

The version you are on
The most current version of Roblox during the time of sending this reply

What device you’re using
PC

Any reproduction steps/files with the issue so we can debug
Just setup an NPC with some dialogue and set BubbleChatConfiguration.Enabled to false

I set BubbleChatConfiguration.Enabled to false as I don’t need bubble chat above players heads however, this should not impact NPC dialogue as I mentioned in this bug report.

In this picture, there is no text showing up above the NPC when there should be

1 Like

Thank you again for the details you’ve provided. This issue should be addressed for real now with today’s update. Let us know if you find anything strange still.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I still appear to be having the same issue?

Perhaps my Roblox isn’t updated yet so I will try again later.

When you send /v in chat, what version does it report? We released 3.3.6 this week that should have resolved the issue.