Dice script not working properly

so i made a dice script for my game and it works fine, but after running a few tests i noticed that for some reason 3 and 4 are rarer than the rest of the numbers but i have no idea why

module.rollDice = function(dice)
	local faces={
		["Back"]=5,
		["Bottom"]=6,
		["Front"]=2,
		["Left"]=4,
		["Right"]=3,
		["Top"]=1
	}

local function getsurface(surfacenormal)
		local normal = dice.PrimaryPart.CFrame:VectorToObjectSpace(surfacenormal)
		local nx,ny,nz = math.round(normal.X),math.round(normal.Y),math.round(normal.Z)
		if nx ~= 0 and (ny == 0 and nz == 0) then
			if nx > 0 then
				return("Front")
			else
				return("Back")
			end
		elseif ny ~= 0 and (nx == 0 and nz == 0) then
			if ny > 0 then
				return("Top")
			else
				return("Bottom")
			end
		elseif nz ~= 0 and (nx == 0 and ny == 0) then
			if nz > 0 then
				return("Left")
			else
				return("Right")
			end
		end
	end
	local Tween1 = TS:Create(dice.PrimaryPart,TweenInfo.new(0.1,Enum.EasingStyle.Linear),{["CFrame"]=CFrame.new(dice.PrimaryPart.Position)*CFrame.Angles(math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)),math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)),math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)))})
	Tween1:Play()
	Tween1.Completed:Wait()
	local Tween2 =  TS:Create(dice.PrimaryPart,TweenInfo.new(0.1,Enum.EasingStyle.Linear),{["CFrame"]=CFrame.new(dice.PrimaryPart.Position)*CFrame.Angles(math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)),math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)),math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)))})
	Tween2:Play()
	Tween2.Completed:Wait()
	local Tween3 =  TS:Create(dice.PrimaryPart,TweenInfo.new(0.1,Enum.EasingStyle.Back),{["CFrame"]=CFrame.new(dice.PrimaryPart.Position)*CFrame.Angles(math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)),math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)),math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)))})
	Tween3:Play()
	Tween3.Completed:Wait()
	local params = RaycastParams.new()
	params.FilterType = Enum.RaycastFilterType.Whitelist
	params.FilterDescendantsInstances = {dice.PrimaryPart}
	local origin = dice.PrimaryPart.Position+Vector3.new(0,dice.PrimaryPart.Size.Y,0)
	local results = workspace:Raycast(origin,dice.PrimaryPart.Position-origin,params)
	local surface = getsurface(results.Normal)
	return faces[surface]
end
1 Like

Does the math.random seed change at all? Also consider running a lot more tests than that since it might just be naturally biased against 3 and 4 for the first 1000 rolls or something

1 Like

Consider changing the math.random seed everytime the dice rolls to os.time(), sometimes math.random can be a bit biased if the seed remains constant:

--on dice roll
math.randomseed(os.time())
1 Like

os.time() isn’t exactly reliable since it means it will only change the seed every second so you’re going to get the same exact results if you use math.random multiple times in that one second interval

I would use something like this

--seed will change every microsecond with this method
--you might have to truncate the number so it doesn't overflow and break
math.randomseed(math.floor(os.clock()*1e6))

http://lua-users.org/wiki/MathLibraryTutorial

2 Likes

i dont really get it, is this what i am supposed to do?

local seed = math.randomseed(math.floor(os.clock()*1e6))
	local Tween1 = TS:Create(dice.PrimaryPart,TweenInfo.new(0.1,Enum.EasingStyle.Linear),{["CFrame"]=CFrame.new(dice.PrimaryPart.Position)*CFrame.Angles(math.rad(90*seed),math.rad(90*seed),math.rad(90*seed))})
	local Tween2 =  TS:Create(dice.PrimaryPart,TweenInfo.new(0.1,Enum.EasingStyle.Linear),{["CFrame"]=CFrame.new(dice.PrimaryPart.Position)*CFrame.Angles(math.rad(90*seed),math.rad(90*seed),math.rad(90*seed))})
	local Tween3 =  TS:Create(dice.PrimaryPart,TweenInfo.new(0.1,Enum.EasingStyle.Back),{["CFrame"]=CFrame.new(dice.PrimaryPart.Position)*CFrame.Angles(math.rad(90*seed),math.rad(90*seed),math.rad(90*seed))})

math.randomseed is a void function, you simply just run it and it will change the sequence of math.random
You’re supposed to change the seed right before calling math.random, every time

Here’s an example of how to use it

for _ = 1, 100 do
   math.randomseed(math.floor(os.clock()*1000000))
   print(math.random(1, 100))
   task.wait()
end

now the dice is only rotating in 1 direction

math.randomseed(math.floor(os.clock()*1e6))
	local Tween1 = TS:Create(dice.PrimaryPart,TweenInfo.new(0.1,Enum.EasingStyle.Linear),{["CFrame"]=CFrame.new(dice.PrimaryPart.Position)*CFrame.Angles(math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)),math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)),math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)))})
	local Tween2 =  TS:Create(dice.PrimaryPart,TweenInfo.new(0.1,Enum.EasingStyle.Linear),{["CFrame"]=CFrame.new(dice.PrimaryPart.Position)*CFrame.Angles(math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)),math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)),math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)))})
	local Tween3 =  TS:Create(dice.PrimaryPart,TweenInfo.new(0.1,Enum.EasingStyle.Back),{["CFrame"]=CFrame.new(dice.PrimaryPart.Position)*CFrame.Angles(math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)),math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)),math.rad(90*math.random(1,4)))})

oh, my bad, didnt read carefully

Actually scratch that, it worked fine for me changing the seed only once per roll

local intClock = tostring(os.clock()*1e6)
math.randomseed(math.floor(tonumber(string.sub(intClock, 4, #intClock))))

Perhaps there’s something wrong with the way you’re physically randomizing the die?