Did Roblox Studio change something with print? It doesn't print the content of tables anymore

I remember that it used to be possible to run something like

print(game.Workspace:GetDescendants())

In the console, and then it would also print the table of it like so {...} and then you could click on it and it would show all childs. However, now for some reason, it only prints the table memory address and not the actual content of it anymore. And Roblox Studio didn’t seem to leave a function like “printtable”, unless I am wrong.

What happend with “print” ?

I know that the default Lua one doesn’t print tables via print, but what I am saying is, is that Roblox Studio used to, and now not anymore. Why?

Try

for i,v in pairs(game.Workspace:GetDescendants()) do
print(v)
end

Also it’s intended behaviour.

Disable Show memory address for expandable tables and Log Mode

4 Likes

It’s intended behaviour for the print function that we know from Lua. But what I am saying is, that I was able to do this print(game.Workspace:GetDescendants()) and it would print a thing to click on and show the content of the table automatically.

Oh, then use @SOTR654 's solution.

Interesting.

I just did that, do I have to restart Studio for it to affect?

Well, did it say you need to restart studio?

If it does, just restart.

Deactivate the 2 options and try again, if it doesn’t work close and reopen studio.

It didn’t say it, but it also didn’t work when I changed that checkbox.

I toggled “Show memory address for expandable tables”, but I don’t see the tables to expand. All I see is the memory address. I think “Show tables expanded by default” is supposed to show the tables so that what would have looked like this in the console {...} but already expanded.

However, I don’t see the expandable tables anymore.

I’ve toggled both on, re-opened Studio, tried command line.

Toggled both off, re-opened Studio, tried command line

still no expandable table

Does it show an expandable table for you?

Nevermind I forgot about “Log Mode”

this worked

What does “Log Mode” do? Save the log to a file?

Log Mode — Simplifies output by removing options such as expandable trees.

Okay here’s another issue though. Log Mode always turns itself on and never saves. How can I fix that? Or is that a Roblox Studio issue this time?

Seems more like a studio bug, sometimes it happens to me, but after turning it off 2 times it fixes it, you could also take a look at the settings if there is an option.

What did you turn off two times? I tried to turn things off 2 times, like Studio or check the Log Mode off twice.

Roblox Studio fixed the issue.