Difference between local parts and network ownership?

After scrolling through the Developer Wiki, bored as usual, I came across Network Ownership.

I’m slightly confused, is this similar to local parts? To generate local parts I’ve just cloned the original, deleted it, then parented the clone and required it’s module scripts. It’s worked for me.

Reading through the article, it seems that the client/server has ownership over certain parts to calculate physics and such, which raises the question, Can exploiters manipulate these parts? I know you can only change owners on the server, but I feel like that would only partially solve the issue.

Apologies if I’m not fully understanding the concept, It’s pretty hard for me to wrap my mind around it. If someone could elaborate on it it would be greatly appreciated!

Local parts, as the name implies, are local. Network ownership just lets a player or the server handle physics of a part. You know how when you move around with the wasd/arrow keys the movements is smooth? Network ownership is why. Not because body parts are local.

5 Likes

To add to @incapaxx’s answer in the context of exploiting; Network Ownership abused to inject local parts into the server by abusing “a secret trick”. You should think of local parts as a state of an element, an element only found on the client’s machine.

1 Like