Disabling camera mode?

Recently, I’ve been chatting with a few people on this forum : Disable changing camera mode - #8 by Revelted

about whether or not setting the camera in game works correctly or not, and we have come to the conclusion that setting the camera in studio does not ensure that the user can switch it in game.

I’ve switched the panel of “DevComputerCameraMovementMode” and DevTouchCameraMovementMode" to classic (Seen here)

e75b7a60d93792dab1ec0e5027930656

however when players enter the game, they are still given an option to change their camera:

Now this wouldn’t be such a big concern to me, however when you use camera manipulation in game via “CFrame.new”, and a player switches their camera, it reverts back to the character, thus breaking my game’s cutscenes.

I would love to hear more on this subject! Please let me know if this is a roblox issue or if I’m just doing something incorrectly.

-Revelted

16 Likes

Just tried on my studio, it seems it’s occurs 100% of the time

4 Likes

I think this is intentional, although I do believe that there should be a feature where you can “lock” the camera system.

I would preferably like it to be able to be accessed by a Client script and can be switched on and off with ease (for example have it off during a cutscene, on during gameplay), and not with a main switch in Studio.

But this is a Bug Report, and not a Feature Request unfortunately. I suggest making a Feature Request thread as well because I am 90% sure this behaviour is intentional: This setting is meant to have the user start on this mode and be able to change it later.

I dont think it is. There’s already a “UserChoice” option for this. If it were intentional then I don’t think the “UserChoice” option would exist. The wiki also states:

If set to UserChoice then the player’s camera movement mode will be determined by whatever the player set in the game settings. Otherwise, the mode will be set based on this property.

Only says the player can choose when that mode is set. Pretty sure I saw a game before where it had all settings “Set by Developer” a long time ago. Guessing an update broke this.

EDIT: used the wrong wiki page, fixed it now, sorry

3 Likes

This still happens to me and I can’t find a way to fix it.

Edit: Just to be clear about the problem, it seems to work in studio (Settings say Set by Developer) but in-game it still lets you change it. There are games I know of that currently exist that have the setting disabled but I can’t find a way to do it. The method that should work doesn’t seem to.

I recently started a new project and this is still happening. This bug isn’t just making this property annoying to work with. It’s making this property not work at all. Whenever I want to lock the camera mode I have to do a hacky workaround that entirely ditches this feature. I don’t want to have to do that. It annoys me that this property is just there, but it doesn’t work. I wish I could just set this property and forget about it, but I can’t.

If you are testing this property for yourself, check the Camera Mode setting in-game rather than in Studio. In Studio it will appear to work by saying Set By Developer, but in-game it will still let you change the camera type.

2 Likes

Doesn’t happen to me in studio or in game, don’t forget to publish the game before testing it on roblox. I would think that is the issue for most people. As for the cutscenes, I would just go by changing the CameraMode to something other than user choice when doing the cutscenes, and reverting back when the cutscene is over.

This has been a serious issue for a while now and they yet to actually look into it. I can see why since not many games use this but its still annoying. Disabling camera seems to be super random depending on the game and the update. I don’t know how to explain it.

1 Like

This bug affects my game, as I have a custom camera controller system, and clueless kids often change their camera type in the menu, only to have the camera completely spaz out.

I would love to see this fixed. I already have changing the camera type disabled in Starter Player and the default camera mode set to Classic in order not to break my game’s logic.

I have had multiple people report this as a bug in my discord server.

2 Likes

Is it really just me not facing this bug?

1 Like

Can we bump this? We’re also facing the same issue and it’s really game breaking for players.

1 Like

I recently stumbled across this thread and had the same issue myself. Luckily I came across a solution!

You need to edit the default PlayerModule, which you can get by pressing play in studio and copying + pasting the module under PlayerScripts back into StarterPlayerScripts. Then under PlayerModule, line 104 of CameraModule, you should see a bunch of camera modes being registered. So you can simply comment them out besides the one you need and tada!

7 Likes