(dismissed, sorry)

This topic has been dismissed for personal reasons, I apologize and thank everyone who used their time to help me thrive.

12 Likes

My Review:

It’s a good start. You have the skill to make good artwork, however, this does seem to be lacking some things.

1. Depth of field - Nothing much to say, its just reality. It also adds a focus to the image.

2. Lighting is to even… - The lighting looks very even, making it bland and rather boring. You need to add more diverse and interesting lighting. Even and bland lighting doesn’t make it unrealistic, but that doesn’t mean it’s still desired. For example, filmmakers could make their films look exactly like real life, but how often do you see that? More often, they play around with the film, they add interesting color grades, they don’t just use video. They turn video into art, they creatively expressing what they want to express in the film. They turn it into what they want to see, what they imagine. They give it a feeling. Sad, dramatic, breathtaking.

Here are some examples of lighting being used to make the film look more like a creative expression rather than just a video.

Do you notice how these images just draw you in? How it’s not just a simple picture or video taking with any camera. But rather, these pictures are interesting. They have a feeling, an emotion, something to say, something to express.

You can achieve things like this by:

• Messing around with the lighting, the colors, the strength of lights
  • You can mess around with the volumetrics
  • And so much more…

tl;dr Many people who try to get into 3D rendering spend a while just trying to gain enough skill to mimic the real world. While this is a good start, don’t stop here. Once you get to this point, it’d almost the same thing as just taking out a camera and snapping a picture of the real world. That doesn’t mean the picture nor the render is interesting.

1. The brick textures are too strong - if you used a normal map or displacement map for those, maybe turn down the strength. It’s very strong and draws my eye away from the characters.

Hope this helped! Try going back in there, mess around with the lighting. Add some dramatic shadows, some interesting backlight, etc.

Some good videos:

This is a very good tutorial. It is not for 3D rendering, however, you can take concepts from it.

I don’t know what program you use for 3D rendering. When I searched up 3D lighting tutorials, mostly Blender tutorials popped up. However, even if you don’t use Blender, I’d suggest still watching these as you can still learn the general lighting concepts from these videos.

3 Likes

oOOh, looking good! Texture is absolutely amazing, lighting is great, positioning is good, overall just super good! Honestly, I have nothing to say! :hidere:

I agree with the statements about lighting and depth above. My two critiques have to do with the rifle and the Medkit. The rifle seems to be absorbed into the hand of the user, and while this may be fine and all, adding depth in the form of reference points between us and the focus of the photo will help. My second critique is about the brightness of the kit. It seems so out of place when everything else is dark. This isn’t to say bright colors don’t work against darks; they do very well. However, the fact that this particular shade of red isn’t the same as the other shades on the armband of the solder carrying the rifle, or indeed any of the armbands, makes it very distracting overall. Unless it’s meant to be the subject of the piece, consider turning down the brightness on that particular object.

Hope this was helpful. I like the concept! Keep it up!

1 Like