Display battery, or have an option to, on mobile

Even through the few times I’ve used ROBLOX mobile, I have had my phone die on me because I wasn’t aware of how low the battery had gotten. It’d be nice if the battery was displayed on-screen, or an option to do that was present.

7 Likes

On Android 4.4+ swipe down from the top for the status bar.

iOS should be similar if swiping from top center.

1 Like

I see your concern.
however, we believe a fullscreen gaming experience is essential without distraction from top status bar.
by showing status bar, it will shrink the in-game GUI. most mobile games on market do hide the status bar in purpose.

and as Jon mentions swipe down for status bar, i believe it’s a common user habit.

3 Likes

[quote] I see your concern.
however, we believe a fullscreen gaming experience is essential without distraction from top status bar.
by showing status bar, it will shrink the in-game GUI. most mobile games on market do hide the status bar in purpose.

and as Jon mentions swipe down for status bar, i believe it’s a common user habit. [/quote]

You already use an in-game topbar – why not put it there?

2 Likes

we worked precisely (talking about pixel to pixel) to keep the menu bar as minimal as possible.
introducing the status bar is against the design philosophy.

i had the same concern before as mobile games drain phone battery in insane speed.
we leave the status bar for all pages on mobile. however, when it hits in-game, it’s an industry standard that fullscreen experience is essential.

1 Like

I’m talking about this thing:

You have plenty of room to add a battery display:

2 Likes

oh! this is what you are talking about. i misunderstood.
good thought, but I don’t think the GUI should have any non-game element involved.

1 Like

I’d argue that it is a game element, because the battery running out and the phone shutting down has an impact on gameplay.

4 Likes

Just make it an option in the menu, or make it pop up when you are down to like 20% or so.

1 Like

iOS has this warning built in at 20% and 10%, I assume you can turn on a similar thing on Android devices.

1 Like

1 Like

That’s iPad overlay – not ROBLOX (notice the iPad text that conflicts with the menu button). It doesn’t happen with all devices either.

At least it shows you how much battery still, it’s called the status bar so I wouldn’t see it as a overlay. Adding two battery icons would be a bit confusing (unless it stays with the devices that don’t have the Status bar)

edit: i tried my iPod and my brothers iPhone and it still shows

1 Like

Android devices (70% of worldwide market share) don’t have that overlay. It looks like older iOS devices don’t either.

1 Like

A Notifaction is fine, but I don’t want any more icons in the Top bar that just make my game feel clutterred with icons, not for this use-case.

I’m totally fine with a pop-up or anything in that nature.

2 Likes

This is a VERY old thread but I just stumbled across this today, and I think it’s very useful
Maybe have it so this can be an API to let developers customize and use this if they want. Unity has something similar.

3 Likes

I don’t think this is useful at all. You can just swipe down from the top to see your battery. The battery is more correlating with the device being used than the game itself, so it makes no sense to include it in-game. If the usefulness was to help save energy by computing less based on the battery percentage, Roblox as a platform should be handling that and not us developers.

2 Likes

It’d be nice if we could get someone’s battery percentage via a service for simulations.

1 Like

This topic originated in 2014, and was stopped on 2018, your insanely necro-posting, and the feature you’re implying has nothing to do with said inactive post.

2 Likes

I’m very sorry. I forgot to check that. But the ability for game developers to get the player’s battery percentage would be nice to have.

1 Like