Display R$ Profit in Developer Stats (attention: record keepers, harm)

Disclaimer: This is NOT a request for ‘simply more convenience’, read further:

R$ = Robux

Hey guys, I’ve found something kind of alarming- it makes record keeping documents inaccurate. This affects anyone who records their R$ revenue, or just anyone who keeps track of their money from ROBLOX. (or if you’re an accounting freak like me. it’s therapeutic!)

Long story short: Please display R$ Profit because you cannot calculate profit from looking at Developer Stats. The math plays out weirdly. Why? Read on:

First I need to clear up a common misconception: do you think you earn 70% of your R$ Revenue? …if you do, that’s false, if you go to adjust the price of something, you’ll see that you don’t get ‘70% of R$ revenue’. You actually get ‘Revenue - (30% of Revenue, Rounded)’, I learned this from testing the price setter.
Therefore, your profit =
:neutral_face: 70% of R$
:heart_eyes: R$ Revenue - 30% of R$ Revenue

With that cleared up, here’s why you cannot calculate your profits from looking at your Developer Stats:

So currently, Developer stats records R$ revenue (REV). Deans’ revenue was 85 today. Like so

• May 1st, 2016, R$ Revenue: 85

So, therefore, Deans’ profit is
REV - (REV*0.3 (rounded)) = 85 - (85*0.3 (rounded)) = 85 - (25.5 (rounded)) = 85 - 26 = 59

• May 1st, 2016, R$ Profit: 59

This is false. That’s not Deans’ profit. Someone said it before, I disagreed with him but now I agree: showing us the ‘total revenue’ is actually useless to finding profit. You can only find your profit by looking at the amount of sales:

Each gamepass sale ALWAYS gives Dean a certain amount, that is always true, right? (right, it says it on the gamepass configure page) Dean got his 85 revenue by selling only one gamepass 5 times at 17 R$ each. So, each gamepass yields:
17 - (170.3 (rounded)) = 17 - (5.1 (rounded)) = 17 - 5 = 12
Dean gets 12 R$ each gamepass sale. That’s fact. Dean sold the gamepass 5 times. So his profit is 12
5 = 60.
60… that’s different than what we got before (59). But 60 is his true profit. Therefore, you can’t calculate profit from total revenue, like the Developer Stats display. Pls display R$ Profit. (why? why support record keepers? Read on,)

So we’re getting into the philosophy of why to support record keepers, I think keeping track of profit is just another method of recording progress, which is something I think ROBLOX would support. Don’t you want your users to be organized? And seeing, assessing their situations? I don’t think I have to argue much here, I think ROBLOX does value that users keep records, they shipped an entire, full-fledged feature called Developer Stats.

Lemme know of the progress on this! And if I made any false statements.

Don’t know the difference between Profit and Revenue? Read here:

Profit and Revenue are different things. Revenue = How much you made, Profit = (Revenue - deductions) (taxes, costs, accidents, etc.)

4 Likes

It’s clearly indicated what it is:

So I don’t think the part where you say that the stats are misleading is warranted.

Regardless, it would be nice if we have a place somewhere that shows a table of all items that were sold within the time period, along with the amount of times they were sold, unit profit (70% of unit price rounded), and the total profit (sales amount times unit profit).

Also, please make sure to tag your posts appropriately (just “developerstats” would do) and to put it in the correct subcategory of Feature Requests. (Web Requests)

Agreed, unluckily, they were shy to bring back the ‘minutes played’ stat, I think someone said it’s to save data. So they might reject this

Unit profit =/= 70% of unit price rounded
Unit profit = Unit price - (30% of unit price (rounded))

Test this by entering ‘5’ in the price setter in an item configure page, if profit was 70% of unit price rounded then it would display 4 (50.7 = 3.5 = 4), but it displays 3 (5 - (50.3) = 5 - (1.5) = 5 - 2 = 3)

Sure, whatever the definition is. My point was that it doesn’t matter what the definition is if the unit profit is given somewhere, then there is no misunderstanding about that.

It’s really sad to see people sell their stuff for 5 Robux and not realize the mistake they’re making, as they have to pay 40% instead of 30% in ROBLOX taxes.

hold on, is this also true for the robux summary?
https://www.roblox.com/My/Money.aspx#/#Summary_tab
is this before 30% tax or after?

That’s after the fee has been applied. It’s actually what you are getting.

1 Like

You can calculate it. You just need a more clever excel formula.

1 Like

The monthly revenue data spreadsheets (under the Data Export tab in developer stats) actually contain all of the correct and detailed info, with per-item profit after the marketplace fees; if you’re looking to keep exact detailed records of your game’s profits, you should definitely use those spreadsheets.

However, I agree that the graph on the site should just display the after-tax profits. Not sure what reason there is for it to display pre-tax revenue.

3 Likes

I don’t think you can, with just 1 data value? (1 data value being ‘Revenue’)

Yes it’s possible to calculate profit but you need more data, #ofSales and price history (price changes) of every item, I believe. I think it’s a hassle when they could just display R$ Profit amount, so I think they should just display it.

Oh cool, I think I will start using that then. I will look into it, and yeah I think it should just be displayed.