Distance Joint Feature / Rope Constraint Bug

The Distance Joint is a joint that attaches two objects and keeps them a certain distance apart.
The main application of the Distance Joint component is to keep distance between two points.

This does not apply torque or rotation. It does apply a linear force to both connected items, using a very stiff simulated ‘spring’ to maintain the distance.

This kind of already exists as a Studio Feature in the form of the Rope Constraint. Though, the rope constraint changes the NetworkOwner automatically to client. This messes up my feature I’m trying to implement. A rope between two players that you can swing with to get to other platforms in the game. Because of this one of the character becomes the other player’s and makes it ‘laggy’.

This would benefit me because it would allow me to keep on working on my dream game. Kinda like the co-op rage game ‘Bread & Fred’.

Either you could fix the Rope Constraint to fit the requirements, to make it not mess with the NetworkOwner if the rope is connected to two players at the same time, or you could implement the Distance Joint that already exists in Unity.

If you search on the Dev Forum you can see how many other developers struggle with the Rope Constraint in the same way as me. So it’s not just me that would like this implemented.

Thank you for your understanding of this topic.

7 Likes

There is already a constraint your looking for in Roblox it is called, the rod constraint
the rod constraint keeps two attachments on two parts a specified distance apart.

2 Likes

Does it function like a rope? So that the distance between can minimize?

1 Like

No it seemed to me you wanted the distance to be constant so no it isn’t a rope.

Is why i thought you wanted a rod constraint.

While we have rodconstraint it would be nice to have an offset parameter for x,y,z direction for constraints. Rod constraint only supports distance in one direction which is a pain.