DMCA Redemption Program

For a tldr, read from the 4th paragraph, I explain a bit in the first few paragraphs.

Hello,

Earlier today, one of my friends made a shoulder pal of my avatar and uploaded it to the catalog. I wasn’t notified of this happening until it was under moderation, so I couldn’t stop it. This was happening under my group.

It was put up at around 3 PM EST, and taken down about 30 minutes ago. I received a DMCA claim from the owner of the pants I wear. Their profile is very empty in terms of contact, so I think I may be out of luck there.

What this topic isn’t saying is that this wasn’t unfair. I used their pants, and I can’t deny that. No matter how much of a stupid thing it was to take down an item for using pants, it’s still valid, so I don’t have a real counterclaim.

Me being the group owner, I got a DMCA strike under my account. I’m not sure about the uploader, he’s sleeping.

What I’m asking here is what is the “redemption program”? The message I got was rather vague, and doesn’t specify much. Will it remove the strike from my account if I send the email? Is there anything I have to submit in terms of legal documents?

Thank you - any help here is truly appreciated as I try and clear this up.

3 Likes

I’m sorry this happened to you. Although you did use copyrighted content, DMCA was undeniably a brash move. They cloud have at least reached out to you before they tactlessly resorted to legal paths. After all, DMCA complaints don’t happen in masses, so I can’t say that was very nice of them.

Unfortunately, there isn’t much information on the three-strike system. We know that Roblox has a strong discretional right, that DMCA complaints require a complainant, that some strikes are permanent while most are not etc.

Apparently, when you enroll in the remediation program offered in the message, you get a chance to have the strike expire after a period of time. I’ve done some research before and found the information about strikes insufficient. Of course the strike depends on the circumstances of the infringement, but we’re still being left in doubt.

I haven’t found any official sources for this, but quite some people said the strike expiry period is 6 months? Also, subsequent claims during the 45-day period after the takedown notice are accumulated into one strike.

Some sources I checked:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.