Do a username sweep!

I’d like woot, like all the test sites.

1 Like

come on YOU HAD THE PERFECT USERNAME AND YOU QUIT

1 Like

[quote] come on YOU HAD THE PERFECT USERNAME AND YOU QUIT [/quote]T-tyler? :ohmy:

What would the inactive limit be? 2 years?
They’ll never do this. First come first serve.

What if you came back to roblox and suddenly you realized your account no longer existed?

2 Likes

What they should do, is send out messages to inactive accounts asking them to confirm they are still active within 4 weeks or the username is seized and the account has its name changed to something else that normal users wouldn’t be allowed to set their name as. Cut off limit of 2 years seems good. These accounts should be offered a free name change if they become active again.

There are so many name sniped accounts just wasting space.

4 Likes

[quote] What they should do, is send out messages to inactive accounts asking them to confirm they are still active within 4 weeks or the username is seized and the account has its name changed to something else that normal users wouldn’t be allowed to set their name as. Cut off limit of 2 years seems good. These accounts should be offered a free name change if they become active again.

There are so many name sniped accounts just wasting space. [/quote]

Come up with a good unique username. I don’t see why guy with the username “Alien” who hasn’t logged in since 2006 should get his account username forcibly changed and not user “asdewre” just because his name is cooler. That seems a bit unfair when there is a chance he may return.

More than once I stumbled upon a forum I had created an account in, and because I couldn’t remember the password/username I never posted a reply to the thread and never returned. Same could happen to an old robloxian. Having the username Alien work with two different passwords to open the old account and the new account that took the username seems like it would be a mess for coders.

No I think people will just have to suffer without “cool” usernames that have been claimed at the start of a website for every single website out there since the beginning of the internet.

1 Like

[quote] What they should do, is send out messages to inactive accounts asking them to confirm they are still active within 4 weeks or the username is seized and the account has its name changed to something else that normal users wouldn’t be allowed to set their name as. Cut off limit of 2 years seems good. These accounts should be offered a free name change if they become active again.

There are so many name sniped accounts just wasting space. [/quote]

Come up with a good unique username. I don’t see why guy with the username “Alien” who hasn’t logged in since 2006 should get his account username forcibly changed and not user “asdewre” just because his name is cooler. That seems a bit unfair when there is a chance he may return.

More than once I stumbled upon a forum I had created an account in, and because I couldn’t remember the password/username I never posted a reply to the thread and never returned. Same could happen to an old robloxian. Having the username Alien work with two different passwords to open the old account and the new account that took the username seems like it would be a mess for coders.

No I think people will just have to suffer without “cool” usernames that have been claimed at the start of a website for every single website out there since the beginning of the internet.[/quote]But there are so many name snipes who were never used. Don’t you think this is a good idea at all?

1 Like

I think it’d be great if we all got the usernames we wanted, but that cannot be. I don’t think having a ‘namesnipe’ should make a username any more valuable to the point where we should take it off a guy who hasn’t played recently.

I’m no website coder, so I don’t know if it’d be a piece of cake to have the same username work with two passwords, redirecting to two different user IDs, or whether it would be a really bad idea security-wise.

Meh, it just seems like an unneeded update. It’s just a username, you can make up new ones now, you shouldn’t really need existing ones.

I think it’d be great if we all got the usernames we wanted, but that cannot be. I don’t think having a ‘namesnipe’ should make a username any more valuable to the point where we should take it off a guy who hasn’t played recently.

I’m no website coder, so I don’t know if it’d be a piece of cake to have the same username work with two passwords, redirecting to two different user IDs, or whether it would be a really bad idea security-wise.

Meh, it just seems like an unneeded update. It’s just a username, you can make up new ones now, you shouldn’t really need existing ones.[/quote]

Personally, adding a limit that if they haven’t logged since 2010 they are given placeholder names and when they log back in then they can change it for free. I have a name I want, and its an old account of mine and that is my reason for this.

I do as well. But perhaps we’ll have to change the point of this thread from resetting old account names, to getting back your old alternate account names on an individual basis.

I thunk the issue becomes if an old user wants to return, they want their old username back. It is not unheard of in other gaming sites or platforms to return from hiatus after 2 or 3 years and become active again. I logged onto PSN last sometime in January of 2012, but if I want to return, I want my username backand the same account back. In WoW, there are stories of people coming back from multi year breaks before becoming active. And this doesnt even take into account the fact impersonation may occur.

Can we do sweeps on accounts if they show certian characterisitcs, maybe only 1 or 2 logins for less then an hour? Sure. But putting blanket things of “you have been inactive for 2 years, you now loose your username.” is a bit extreme.

This would be nice. The game League of Legends does this on a yearly basis. You have two usernames - your login username (which is displayed on their forums), and your display username (what everybody else sees on the game). Every year, they send out an email to accounts who are going to get their name sweeped if they don’t log in to their account within a certain timeframe. If they don’t log in, their display name is cleared for somebody else to take, but the login username stays the same. If they do eventually log back in, they’ll be prompted to select a new display name. However, your login name will also be used for forum posts, so you can’t take a popular poster’s name if it gets cleared and make people think you were them.

I think this would work well for ROBLOX.

1 Like

Just give them an email if they haven’t been active since like 2010. Then they can respond if they want, or they can just let it go.

[quote] This would be nice. The game League of Legends does this on a yearly basis. You have two usernames - your login username (which is displayed on their forums), and your display username (what everybody else sees on the game). Every year, they send out an email to accounts who are going to get their name sweeped if they don’t log in to their account within a certain timeframe. If they don’t log in, their display name is cleared for somebody else to take, but the login username stays the same. If they do eventually log back in, they’ll be prompted to select a new display name. However, your login name will also be used for forum posts, so you can’t take a popular poster’s name if it gets cleared and make people think you were them.

I think this would work well for ROBLOX. [/quote]This is exactly what I was thinking of when writing this. I knew league had a pretty good sweep each year. I think it would work out great as well.

Whilst I greatly dislike the idea of removing currently inactive accounts…

Why don’t they auction off the name, or allow users to sell one of their previous names? Like, if the user doesn’t login for X amount of years, their username is put up for ‘auction’ (of some kind). The base price would pivot on how old the username is, and the amount of assets that particular user managed to procure (however the bidder wouldn’t get any of the items), or failing that allow users to just ‘outright’ buy the name for a fixed price depending on when their last activity is, procured wealth (but the user who got their name wouldn’t get it), and so on. If any of that made any sense…

Edit: Made the last section actually make sense :stuck_out_tongue:

I love Quorum’s idea.

Also, last online 11/13/2006 5:19 PM UGGGGGHHHHH

I would pay 10k Robux to change my username to Barcode!

I would do the same for Nelson… if I had $10K R’s.

To everyone in the thread who thinks they deserve to keep them since they “might come back”, you have to remember that a LOT of people name harvested back then and just left the names to rot afterwards, they didn’t deserve them in the first place.