Do i still need a humanoid on my character?

I been working on a FPS and during this time i slowly replaced each part of the character logic with my own. First i disabled the EvaluateStateMachine on the humanoid and replaced the controller with roblox’s physic based controller, along with a custom state machine.

Then i replaced roblox’s PlayerModule with my own module that handles the camera, movement, and inputs.

At this point the humanoid is only being used as a way to track the health and current state of the character. And im wondering if i were to then replace those 2 with attributes instead (I want to be able to have more states like Crouching, Downed, WallClimbing, etc…). will i still need the humanoid at that point?.

currently my scripts only use the humanoid for it’s StateChanged, HealthChanged, and Died events.

My question is if the humanoid is needed for anything else other than what i mentioned above. if not, is there any inherent advantage to keeping the humanoid over erasing it?

Well it seems like you’re planning on changing it anyways and if you are capable of replacing most of roblox’s humanoid with your own custom made system I’m sure you can get the rest of the stuff that the humanoid is still doin working in your custom system. Roblox really doesn’t expect anyone to remove the humanoid and replace it with their own system, although it is possible i’d personally try to just keep it. As you can get more custom states by just using attributes or something

thats what i was worried about, currently since i replaced the PlayerModule i havent had much issues. but i dont know if roblox uses the humanoid for other things. Possibly for something i cant replace with my own.

Honestly I never made such complex projects that i had to remove the humanoid and replace it with something. Id recommend making a copy of your game and removing the humanoid in the copy and experimenting, so if it doesn’t work you have the original game in which the humanoid is untouched

1 Like