Do platformer games have the potential to be crazy-popular/popular in Roblox?

My Platformer game is not a 2D Platformer game. It is a 3D Platformer game. But I have a question, do these type of game have the potential to be crazy-popular/popular? I just wanna make sure.

I do not based my game by popularity, it’s just for fun for me and my developers. I just want to know if they have the potential to meet my expectations. But if not. I’ll still continue and make the game for fun and make more immersive for you my fellow devs and Roblox users!

3 Likes

With the current children wanting to play role play games or games that do not require much effort to be done and are just p2w. Yea then no chance.

1 Like

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/would-a-3d-platformer-similar-to-a-hat-in-time-take-over-big-obbies/935733/10

I say yes, they do. The market outside of Roblox and in Roblox are quite big. It depends on the quality and if you learn from previous installments mistakes.

I’ll link some more things that would be helpful:

1 Like

Yeah, but frankly, I think the audience of popular games relies on the biggest advantages of the game, which they feel they really need to buy, even though those passes are so expensive. I don’t understand why kids prefer to spend more rather than focusing on the game’s qualities.

Thank you, I like your reply, yeah. Our game is promised to have the best qualities. Although, some models of the game came from the Toolbox. It is really time consuming spending your time in building the models. However, maps of platformer games doesn’t need to be realistic or whatsoever. It is just a casual type of map. Am I right? So it’s easy to make a map. Just the models because I’d like to add more details. Even small details is promised for best quality and experience.

1 Like

I’m overall confused as to what you are saying/asking.

When you say “the game” I’m assuming you’re talking about your own.

Regarding maps, I don’t think they need to be realistic. It all depends on your creative direction. If you want your game to be realistic, I think everything should follow that idea. The idea is to be consistent throughout the style you take, but it doesn’t have to be that either.

Towards the end of your reply, you mention assets and the detail of them. I personally say quality over quantity. But, you also want to keep the performance of your game in mind. Especially if you want to capitalize on Roblox’s big audience in the phone market.

I hope that helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As someone that makes 3D platformer games - not really. I do it because I enjoy it. It’s not impossible to succeed, but incredibly uphill.

Keeping consistent player count and profit is extremely difficult compared to other genres such as simulators. You likely won’t see a concurrent player count over triple digits. The algorithm will constantly pick up and drop your game at awful times as it can’t compete numerically with these other genres. You likely won’t make a living off of it.

If you’re looking to make a living, I would recommend making your game paid access. Paid access for this genre works quite well compared to Premium Payouts (at the expense of player count).

Your game will require notable effort compared to other genres to add new content and to support replayability. Other genres will easily be able to match your metrics for a fraction of the effort and cost. You will constantly be playing catch up. You can alleviate this by adding features such as PVP and RPG elements to your core gameplay loop, but this makes it stray away from a 3D platformer somewhat.

2 Likes

Obbies are essentially simplified platformer games. They are already crazy popular.

1 Like

It does have the potential to become popular, as I still love playing them, and so do some of my friends.

1 Like

Yes, but usually not sustainably. Most likely you get players for the first month, if that, and it dies after that.

Small but active/loyal/consistent playerbase >>>> large but completely unattached playerbase

1 Like

I found some platformer games with 1.2k daily players active. Maybe it does have the potential to be popular. But, all your replies are noted. Thanks!