Do you have issues seeing complex Unions with ShowDecompositionGeometry with the way they are lit?

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to see what a Union looks like because using ShowDecompositionGeometry (SDG) makes the Part appear flat with no Lighting detail.
If you look at a Union without the SDG box checked then standard Place Lighting makes it easy to see where corners, curves and edges are.
With the SDG box checked the Union becomes lit in a weird ‘flat’ tone that makes it hard to discern where the details of the actual shape are.
I tried changing the Transparency of the Union to see if that made it easier but WOW my eyes hurt after seeing all sides of the Union in that flat tone.
I tried changing the Reflectance as well and I might as well have been looking at a flat shiny surface with the outline of the shape of my Union.
My Studio Graphics settings are at 21. I’m using CSGv2 but this was happening before that as well (after you got rid of the multifaceted multicoloured rendering of the SDG Unions).

It makes it very tough to see how players will react with the Union.
Union with Transparency and Reflectance at: 0

Union with Transparency: 0.05

With Reflectance: 1.0

With ShowDecompositionGeometry turned off:

2 Likes

This is a bug - the convexes should have different colors - and will be fixed.

5 Likes

Hi @zeuxcg. It has been 7 years now, and it still hasn’t been fixed. Maybe you should start working on a fix, right ?

2 Likes