Docking Updates [Full Release]

Hmmm… if this is indeed specific problematic plugins then Terrain Editor we should be able to do something about, at least. :sweat_smile: I’ll pass this along to the dev team.

1 Like

This update is out this week that shows both South placeholders so you shouldn’t need the workaround any longer. More stability fixes in the pipeline for next week!

2 Likes

We’ve got a few fixes coming next week that should resolve layouts changing like this. Thanks for your patience!

2 Likes

We brought back collapsing widget panels a couple weeks ago. Sometimes we call them auto hide panels. Is this not the feature you’re describing?

Mar-07-2024 11-41-55

2 Likes

It’s exacy that - I hope.
Either I opened the Feature Requests when it wasn’t there yet or it doesn’t work. I’ll test it right away!

1 Like

It looks like your original post was before we released that update. I hope that’s what you’re looking for! If not, let us know.

1 Like

Just enabled the Beta and it’s missing a critical feature. I am working and traveling using laptop as daily driver without a 2nd screen, meaning that these docking feature are essential for my workflow. In the below screenshot you can see that the Beta does not allow docking a panel to the right/left of an existing side panel, while the old version does. The reason this is essential is I use a shorter (less tall) Script Analysis window but need a taller (more lines) Output window. Hiding Script Analysis leads to overlooking bugs and I don’t want to constantly fiddle with windows – set them once and leave it is the only realistic workflow. Please let me know if it the needed pre-existing feature (green circle in screenshot) is already planned for inclusion in the Beta or not. Thank you!

1 Like

I’ve been opted into the beta for some while, and I can’t exactly explain as to why I’ve started to see these faintly visible “ghost” windows that pop up every once in a while. They go away with a restart and I haven’t got much of an idea as to why they show up, but sometimes they show up during a playtest and go away once exited; other times remaining even after a playtest or multiple. I can resize them, but I can’t exit out of them and as far as I’m concerned they don’t… do anything.

This isn’t from one of my plugins, and it isn’t from any other programs I have open. It remains persistent only in studio.

I’m running Windows 10 Home, version 22H2, latest studio.

Once again, these ghost windows have only really shown up once I opted into the beta and have periodically shown back up without any real explanation. It’s been a good while since I first saw them and they haven’t been patched out so I’m wondering if this is a fault on my end or with the feature.

Can you turn off the Beta and share a screen shot of your full, preferred layout?

Very strange! Do you only see them in the scripting tabs?

No, they’re present outside of the scripting tabs as well and only really overlay dockable elements (I believe). It’s hard to find an exact way to reproduce the bug, but it does occasionally pop back up making it hard to edit some things in the script editor*

1 Like

@Messeras What other elements do they overlay if you recall? Toolbox, explorer, properties, 3rd party plugins etc?

Actually, I’ve been doing some attempted reproduction of the bug and I believe I’ve just figured out what’s been causing these ghost windows.

I launched a play test and I immediately tried stopping it before the windows closed and what I found was this,

Turns out, it was from two of my plugins mysteriously opening again every single time I started a play test. I don’t have them open whatsoever, and for some reason they open up in this exact same spot every time I launch a play test.

I didn’t have them open or docked before launching, but they just open whenever I launch a play test to then instantly close. Sorry about the misleading nature of this bug report! I just took an assumption that these windows had something to do with the new docking system.

Edit: I can’t exactly figure out why it is that they open however. They’re not a part of my regular studio usage and I merely have them enabled as a “just in case I need them” scenario. Toggling them while in edit mode or in play test doesn’t stop them from re-opening once more every single time I play test, so I’ve decided to just disable them.

I’m not the creator of either of these plugins so I couldn’t explain their behavior.

1 Like

Are they two published plugins? Can you let us know the names? The ghosting behavior is really weird, would like to have our QA take a pass with them.

2 Likes

Here’s links to the two of them:
Unsure if it has to do with these plugins or something else I have open in studio, I’m willing to answer any follow up questions though.

2 Likes

Gotten the ghost windows again, can confirm they overlay both the Toolbox, Explorer and properties.

Edit: Oddly enough, it seems they’re independent of the plugins themselves too.

1 Like

This is also the dealbreaker for me when i comes to this update. It was obviously an intentional change because they remove the icon for it which makes no sense. Why update Docking if they just make it less flexible.

1 Like

i share a similar docking scheme to the user you replied to. i primarily keep the explorer/properties panels side-by-side each other with both of them on-top of a single panel holding multiple tabbed plugins/consoles. this is simply impossible to do with the new docking system.

however, if this layout is what contributed to the bugs that were aimed to be fixed with this update, i won’t mind changing my preferences.

3 Likes

Can you explain more about what makes this a dealbreaker for you? What icon are you referring to?

As stated in the original post, we had to completely overhaul the docking scheme to address issues with certain versions of Windows causing layout corruptions.

1 Like