Docking Updates [Full Release]

Yeah I’m sorry to say you’re right that the current rules wouldn’t allow for that particular layout. I appreciate your understanding and flexibility.

We do have confidence this resolves all of the corruption and layout stability issues. We will be monitoring it closely to be certain. The good news is we have much more control over this new system compared to the old so once things settle in, we can start planning feature improvements (multiple saved and switchable layouts, anyone?!)

2 Likes

Here is my current setup (notice how I have the properties window and the Explorer side by side):

In the new docking system i cannot vertically split a window as shown here:

Notice how the left and right docking icons are not visible, which means I cannot dock my properties window directly next to the explorer window like i can with the legacy system.

My apologies for assuming it was intentional but it is irritating to lose functionality like this.

I’ve had some issues when switching from a standard-DPI monitor to a high DPI one, the right click menus do not scale and end up huge, which makes the app unusable without a restart. This occurs with the docking beta, however it’s inconsistent and I can’t reproduce it well. I’ve run into this pretty often though (~once a week) and I’ll share a screenshot if I can reproduce

OK yeah I understand now and thank you for the screenshots.

Your frustration is understandable. We tried our best to come up with a system that would work for as many people as possible but knew there would be some cases like this. It’s a bit hard to explain why we had to make the changes that we did without getting into a long story :sweat: but we spent a lot of time thinking through the solution and this was the best we could do.

I have seen similar issue to what you’re describing, it used to happen when my Mac display would sleep and then come back. But I haven’t seen that in a really long time.

When you say switching do you mean swapping it out as your primary display? Or are you running dual monitors and dragging Studio from one to the next? Screenshots are great… log files are helpful too!

To add on, the new system stays on even after disabling it in the beta features which is beyond frustrating since i cant even use my normal layout anymore. Restarting studio doesnt work aswell as restarting my computer.

Yeah this is known because we ran as Beta since December and today we switched out of Beta to full release. It will no longer be opt-out starting today.

Please for the love of god put this back into beta. There still a lot of fixes that need to be done before forcing this on everyone. I cannot stand the snapping options popping up every time I move a window.

8 Likes

ARE YOU SEIRIOUS NOW ITS FORCED I WANT IT OFF I CANT MAKE WINDOWS DO THE AUTOHIDE THING ANYMORE! atleast i can instead have the toolbox in a different tab or i could just not make it do the autohide thing but i want the autohide thing with the new docking system PLEASE
i like to have the 3d view aspect ratio be about 16:9 (my monitors aspect ratio) and i usualy have the toolbox at the top with the autohide so it makes the 3d view have almost matching aspect ratio with my monitor but with the toolbox at the top without autohide the aspect ratio is noticably different and it kinda looks wrong when the aspect ratio is noticably different from my monitor
edit: the plugins that are closed keep opening when i playtest please fix it
another edit: also the tab of one of the scripts in my game keep opening when i playtest
another another edit: it comments a line of code in one of the scripts in game

1 Like

Why was this put out of Beta? My workflow is absolutely horrible to work with now. I stated earlier that I didn’t want that snapping mechanism to be activated automatically whenever I try to move any window, but no my concern was ignored and pushed to production anyway.

Just look at this mess:

Was UX tested before pushing to production? Because, It’s bad, very… bad, definitely not something that should ever be in production, let alone for a product that thousands (if not millions) of developers rely on to make a living. I am genuinely tired of writing up constructive criticism, because nearly every single time it is never addressed.

5 Likes

Making a new separate post for clarity: Since this has reached full release, no doubt the team is aware of the shortcomings of the new docking system. (Very much empathize with this, and understand it had to be done.) Just in case it is still useful, here is a screenshot of the most productivity-enabling layout I have used, which is no longer possible with today’s release. The annotations show that the Script analysis pane needs to be wider, but still shorter in height than the Output pane. Configured this way never required fiddling with window sizes while working, and was a true “set it and forget it” layout. May it not be forgotten!

4 Likes

Is anyone else having issues with the Script Editor lagging with the new Docking? Normal game runs completely smoothly, but the Script Editor can’t seem to handle it for some reason.
I am using an Intel Mac.

Edit: It seems like I’ve had similar problems in the past after there’s been updates to the Roblox Studio interface. Exact same problem experienced by ScriptingSausage and I back in 2022. Studio Suddenly Lagging - #4 by ImTheBuildGuy

Sometimes moving from one monitor to another, sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting another monitor. It sometimes happens when I disconnect a standard-dpi monitor and all the windows get moved to the high-dpi one. I’ll try to get screenshots and logs when I get a chance to if I reproduce!

You seriously definitivly deployed this without fix the unsupported configurations? I feel totally DISRESPECTED. It is shameful.

<

Can you tell me now how I will work comfortably without my configuration that I have had for almost 10 years? @MeshOfPaul

I agree with this sentiment, I am not on the bandwagon of hating everything new, but this full release came unexpected and is disappointing.

3 Likes

This was a bad rollout, to be forced suddenly on users especially with no way to get my old layout back or disable this even as an option. My old layout is completely unreplicatable now because I can’t have more than 3 widgets in a column or row. In addition, the layout shift when reordering widgets makes for a horrible and sluggish experience, and the many different “Empty Docking Areas” are confusing to understand at first. It would be great if this could be rolled back or at least an option allowing us to switch back to the old layout until all these issues are resolved, as noted in the previous few posts.

Edit: Seems like the entire layout system decides to stop working when I playtest, I either get ghost windows for windows that aren’t there or my layout is completely reset to some random positions with random plugins blocking the middle of the screen I have to close to playtest. This update has been detrimental to my development workflow and is hard to work with, and I’m confused about how these bugs make it through with so long of testing.

To add on, moving tabs during a playtest even if the layout doesn’t match at all what you have outside of a playtest moves your tabs outside of a playtest… why? Even the order of the tabs changes by simply playtesting and stopping, and while this isn’t a big detail, it makes for some confusion when you usually click to the right of a tab and it ends up being on the left.

Edit 2: Why is the asset manager, toolbox, and tag editor disabled in a playtest?

2 Likes

So, about that… This might be a coincidence, but Roblox Studio became pretty much unusuable to me the same day.

• Goes “non responding” after 10-20 minutes of basic code editor usage
  • Quick Open/Find dialogs break (if they break, I know it’s time for Task Manager…)
  • Randomly started opening code windows on the side dock, despite me never ever changing where I want code to open
  • Docking interface looks like an absolute mess (others posted videos and screenshots)

Unrelated to this particular update, but… Roblox Studio never remembers that I prefer my toolbar fully expanded and microprofiler off, so EVERY TIME I open it, I have to turn off microprofiler and doubleclick on some toolbar item to see full bar. Combined with that new “Not Responding” thing it’s fun times.

Please, help.

Also, since I can’t post bugs where they belong… Quick Open doesn’t work until I open a script “manually”.

1 Like

Please FOR THE SAKE OF EVERYONE, make this new shit feature a setting in “Studio Settings”. Maybe some people had some problems with the old docking system, but a lot of people didn’t. There is not a single positive comment in this post, so PLEASE DON’T ENFORCE THIS!

3 Likes

When I move various docks, the Docking Arear appears. It’s quite a mess. For me, is it possible to turn off the Docking Arear?

1 Like

Please reply to me if you decide to make this a studio setting. Anything else would be stupid