Docking Updates [Full Release]

That seems to fix some of the issues, but some glaring ones include the fact I still can’t have more than 3 widgets in a row or column and one of my plugins opens itself every time I playtest, but it’s less severe than with it enabled. The only things that in my opinion need to be changed before this should be released are the overlays, which take a second to show up and shift every single widget for no reason, as well as being able to have more widgets in each column and row - for my use case, even just one more is enough.

After playtesting a few times, my widgets randomly pop out and reset to the middle of the screen. It seems like this update makes the “corruption” issues worse.

I like to keep the docks floating. That’s how it makes me feel. The workspace is more free than just having a dock. Please make it configurable to use the old dock or the new dock.

This is really annoying considering I use lots of widgets and plugins on a day-to-day basis and constantly need to move them around. Is there a way to revert to the old behavior?

Edit: From what I see there isn’t, so this should really be reverted by Roblox (or at least add an option)

4 Likes

Grabbing to move them with the current design is crazy unintuitive. I just moved the “Find Replace” window over to the left which involved lots of UI flashing all over the place.

Then I opened a script and it opened inside the Find/Replace tab :sob:

Turns out I had “split screen” my Studio instead of docking the Find/Replace to the left docking area. I did this because the UI is poorly designed.

e.g I feel I should be able to “drag and drop” onto the docking area, not drop it onto the UI element in the middle

If I drag too far to the left, Windows tries to make me dock it as a split screen view in Windows

For reference, in both of these screenshots, my mouse is held down over the “Find All/Replace All” banner at the top

1 Like

I just realised you asked to share a video, I completely missed it, sorry!

As you can see, I am attempting to place the Script Performance window right below Performance, but above Output.

2 Likes

After this update has gone to full release, I am stuck with Roblox Studio’s Script Editor lagging. I had this same issue back when the beta came out, and when this full release came out I saw that it was the only beta I had turned off. Studio Suddenly Lagging - #4 by ImTheBuildGuy
Below is a video of the lag. Roblox gameplay runs fine, everything else runs fine. You can see in this video the difference between scrolling through 80 lines of code and the toolbox. This lag makes it very hard to write code in studio as everything I do in the Script Editor is very slow and choppy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGgz_sm7jDs
I am using a 3.3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 Processor and an AMD Radeon Pro 5300 iMac. I am on MacOS Sonoma with the Display Color Profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1

2 Likes

@MeshOfPaul, could you and the team consider making this a studio setting? From what I read, you made this change because some people had some layout corruption issues. The thing is, a lot of people didn’t have these issues. This update makes the docking a lot less flexible. Therefor you should make this a studio setting. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

OK from the video it looks like you’ve split the Center region which only allows vertical splits. If you had Performance in the far left (West) region, you would be able to do what you’re trying to do… I think!

I’m currently experiencing this exact same issue with the same color profile and everything, I feel like this exact same MacOS typing issue has happened to me over like 5 other updates and we’re always ignored over it.

This is incredibly important to be fixed, and I really can’t do a whole lot when I’m typing with just 20 fps in a code editor.

Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 5.22.27 PM

1 Like

cc: @ImTheBuildGuy

Thanks for the video and additional info. I will get this to the Script Editor folks right now.

1 Like

Let me know if there’s any additional information which should be added, thank you so much!!!

In your October 2022 post you said all of the other UI also felt laggy but today you feel like it’s very specifically isolated to the script editor?

1 Like

Yes. Everything is isolated to the script editor as of now. I’ve noticed no lag with anything else in studio.

1 Like

Hi @ImTheBuildGuy ,

Would you try to close all other widgets, such as Toolbox, AssetManager, and TerrainEditor, except ScriptEditor to see it’s still laggy? Also, can you also check the cpu usage of ScriptEditor from Activity Monitor?

2 Likes

I just disabled all plugins and widgets and tried using the script editor. I’m experiencing the same lag. CPU usage is around 22% not doing anything and spikes from around 50-90% when I do something like scroll or type.
CPU sits at around 40% when sitting in the game window and 50-60% when I move around in that, though I don’t feel any lag there.

1 Like

I really hate this update, every time I move a widget in the viewport it brings up the docking areas which collapses the screen and I can’t see anything.

1 Like

Can’t see anything in the game view you mean? Because it temporarily shrinks down?

1 Like

Hey, is there a way to disable every screen shrinking when I move a window? Also my layout has started to reset every time Studio is opened, which is quite annoying.

Same problem. When i need to move my widgets the docking area appears so if i quckly move and release it, the widget is going to split appart and dock which is really anoying as i just wanted to move it. Happens to me like 3 times a day (Here is how my workspace looks like:

1 Like

Your layout should not reset beyond the first time you are switched into the new system.

Can you confirm the following:

• You set a layout, fully shutdown all Studio instances, and restart Studio that your last layout is not preserved? And this happens every launch?

• You are on the latest version of Studio (v 622+) and not running in mod utilities?