Docking Updates [Full Release]

These stutters whenever I move a window are somewhat infuriating, and I imagine they’re only worse on budget PCs such as laptops, If I want to move a window or change my docking layout, there’s now small freezes out the wazoo, not to mention the giant “Empty Docking Window” tabs everywhere. They make it quite hard to actually understand where I’m putting something.

1 Like

Wtf I try to dock things what made Roblox studio shutdown pls give me the old one back

1 Like

Autohide is there and working. So are you talking about something different?

Do you have suggestions on how we could indicate empty, available docking areas while dragging?

These only appear while dragging panels around. We expect most people will set their layout and not change it very often after that.

We are open to ideas on how to indicate an empty docking area is available as a drop target.

Constructive feedback, when we receive it, is never ignored and this was not switched over without serious consideration.

We have a new system with preset docking areas. We need a way to indicate where those areas are when there’s no contents within them. Another approach we could take is an overlay that wouldn’t shift the current layout but it would still appear while dragging. Would that be better or worse?

2 Likes

It sounds like you’re having more issues with the scripting workflow which is likely not related to this change. Grabbing log files when you hit these hangs is probably most helpful. You can DM them to me. Some of these issues are not my immediate team but I can try to get them to the right ones.

Microprofiler actually runs on the engine/player side of things (which is why you can run it in the player app). Not sure which toolbar you’re referring to?

If you didn’t experience stability or corruption issues with your setup, I totally understand why this seems like a bad and unnecessary change.

There’s another Beta feature called “Faster Play Solo” which disables unused plugins during Play Test and we tried to make sure the two worked together. It sounds like you’re seeing issues there so we’ll look into that a bit more. You could try disabling the Faster Play Solo feature to see if that helps.

Just popping in to say that would be a little better in my opinion. I do agree with @nontkph_40404, it does get quite messy.

1 Like

Yeah I’m going to run this by the team and see what might be possible here.

1 Like

Yes this has been the most common “won’t work for me” layout I’ve seen so far and I’m keeping it in mind. — it’s possible we can figure out some way to support it.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

How might we do better in the future making things like this less unexpected?

On this particular one, unfortunately we had no choice but to reset everyone’s layouts because all of the way we save the layout data changed. It also was not an option to migrate old layout data to new (which I think would have made this a smoother transition)

Because of that, we first rolled this out as a Beta in December that required explicit opt-in (we didn’t want to reset layouts of people that have the Beta auto enroll turned on) and a few weeks ago we started slowly rolling out. Each time I updated this topic with our most recent changes and listening for feedback.

But I understand not everyone is watching DevForum every hour… so maybe we could do more in the Studio UI going forward?

For me, something like “Notifications” and “Priority notifications” would really help. Priority notifications would announce big features like this and they could be a popup window when you first enter studio (kind of like the auto recovery popup). I know that it is possible to customize notifications in studio, but honestly I don’t really take the time to do that, as it’s just tedious. This is probably something really niche that most devs probably wouldn’t want, but honestly it would be a great QOL feature.

1 Like

For another example, I haven’t found a screenshot of my previous layout, but the only difference from the screenshot below is that Performance would sit above Script Performance.

It’s also worth noting that whenever I open a lua file now, it opens in the same window as Script Performance, forcing me to have to drag it to the main viewport. This update has significantly impaired my productivity.

1 Like

Honestly I’d prefer the way it behaved before this update, and you guys should focus on new studio ui instead. It’s really messy, and just got even worse after it updated.

2 Likes

Yes this is a good idea. There’s quite a lot of work happening around the new UI which will give us far more options for notifications and callouts. It’s much more difficult than it should be with the current Start Page and Editor UI.

1 Like

That should be possible in the new system. Is this not what you’re describing? The script opening not in the Viewport region is very strange and not intended. Can you share video of that happening? I’m trying to reproduce on my side.

Absolutely, however I can’t do this without having to also move Explorer and Properties over Output.

@MeshOfPaul I don’t dere restock further or I’m busy for hors to dock things

From the issues I experienced with the Beta, it doesn’t feel like a serious consideration was made before pushing this change to production; it’s not great. I switched off the Beta for a reason, because my feedback was not addressed yet. I like moving my windows around, and simply that being the trigger for snapping mechanism is extremely intrusive.

I would like to try this out, because shifting layout is really intrusive, not to mention that it starts snapping things into docking areas right away, even though the user may not want to do that.

I would suggest that the snapping should only appear when holding shift, or something like that, so that it is easy to activate it whenever user wants to snap currently held window to a certain docking area. If that is an issue, perhaps make a compromise and add an option on the lines of “Automatically enable snapping for docking areas” in the Studio settings to toggle this behavior.

Also, the Animation Editor sometimes randomly fails to show its window when I select a rig to animate, the rig has its selection highlighted, but the window is not there, and to workaround the issue I have to re-open the Animation Editor.

I’m glad to hear that, and I appreciate the follow up. Though I would prefer if this wasn’t released yet considering that there are still some issues present.

2 Likes