Document that light passes through parts at 0.75 transparency specifically

In the left image, light is successfully going through the part that has .75 transparency.
In the right image, light isn’t going through the part that has .7 transparency.

This can lead to some confusing behaviour because it can be reasonably assumed that a really bright light would pass through a 0.5 transparency part.

A developer I was working with wanted to put lights under glass but was hesitant to because they couldn’t figure out how to before, even after consulting the Developer Hub.

16 Likes

I’ve never understood why it’s just not recalculated for making the transparency of the light itself change when passing through any transparency level, I believe this would be a cool addition if it automatically determined when and where to change transparency and maybe even if I push it, change color based on what it’s passing through? I don’t know how it would be done but from what I know some games have manually done this, and other, non-Roblox games do this by default. I don’t understand why it’s either not passing through it at all, or fully is based on a slight transparency threshold difference.

3 Likes

It would be much, much nicer if it made the light less bright as the glass becomes more opaque, but I guess that’s not the point of this thread

There must be something else going on here, as I was able to get light to penetrate a brick with 0.7 transparency (even as low as 0.55 Transparency light would penetrate). Even moving around the Part and Attachment I was continually able to get a point light to shine through this part.

1 Like

Sorry I forgot to specify that to clarify that this is with the Future lighting mode. I didn’t realize that this didn’t happen in all lighting modes so this request should probably should wait until phase 3 is finalized.