Documentation on the nuances of Content Streaming

Content streaming is a really great feature for improving game performance, and its use is even advocated for already.

However, I feel that it’d help a lot to document the little things that having streaming enabled causes to happen. I spent a little longer than I should’ve trying to confirm whether or not some of the things listed below, like how ChildAdded is fired on parts that are streamed in, occurred. It doesn’t help that the below post was made in 2015, and the documentation for Streaming enabled doesn’t offer any help with how to use it effectively.

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/streaming-enabled-part-property-allowpartstreaming/20912/3

3 Likes

Hiya, this definitely looks like a place where both our docs and help articles could use improvement/addition. I definitely feel your pain when it comes to effectively using streaming enabled. I’ll see if I can get this prioritized and an engineer’s help with getting best practices down on paper. Generally speaking, streaming requires a lot of prerequisite knowledge on replication and I know that’s a topic we’re actively working on improving on the Devhub.

You mentioned the ChildAdded nuance - Is there anything else regarding streaming/replication that you discovered or maybe having trouble with? (e.g. CollectionService tags recently got a mention on the StreamingEnabled api page, this is probably something that needs its own article - we want to hear your thoughts)