Documentation site should make it more clear when feedback will be posted publicly

I would use #feature-requests:documentation-features however that category specifically states that it’s only for documentation content requests.

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to provide feedback via the “Feedback” button displayed on each documentation page (see any page on the documentation site) without having a chance of making a severe mistake. This is because this button sends the feedback publicly via a DevForum topic (similar to this one) when following through the flow. This seemingly only occurs if you have the “Regular” trust-level here on the forum.

My alt:
My personal Roblox account:

While this feature may look like a major time save, it actually led me to an incredibly embarrassing moment earlier today. Because this behaviour was not the case previously and it would have formerly just sent feedback privately to the associated team (if I am remembering correctly), I ended up sending feedback that most certainly was not descriptive enough for a full-out bug report. I got insanely embarrassed when I ended up getting this email and knew what had happened:

To make it very clear, I do not want to see this behaviour reverted, I very well like that feedback can be posted directly as a DevForum topic and wish to see that behaviour stay! I do, however, believe that the current “fine print” text is not obvious enough and that it should be made more obvious (maybe a checkbox?) to ensure that users are aware that their feedback will be posted publicly.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it would save developers such as myself, insanely embarrassing moments when we finally realise that all of our feedback had been posted publicly without us knowing; all because we missed the fine print on the page!

4 Likes

To be clear this is an entirely new feature. These things shipped at the same time (feedback button on docs site + the forward to forum if you are TL2). We didn’t backfill the forward to forum.

Thanks for the feedback, will discuss with the team.

2 Likes

We came to the same conclusion and shipped that just now:

You can now optionally send it to the forum, it’s not a requirement. Please use the forum option if you want updates on your feedback, since we won’t be able to ask you questions or provide status updates otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.