Does 3D animation follow the 12 principles of 2D animation?

I am learning how to animate in 3D, however they look unrealistic, plain, and lifeless.
I remembered that 2D animations follows the 12 principles to make animation dynamic and overall more appealing.

My question is, when animating in a 3D scene, that is: in Roblox. Does it still follow the principles of animations.

Ah, I am only planning to animate r15 character models. It would be great if you point me to a resource too! Thank you very much for taking time to read my question.

No, I don’t believe it does. 3D modeling is less of a pivot action and more along the lines of following basic physics. Keep in mind that whoever is viewing the animation is not just seeing 1 angle like 2 day. They can see it from all angles possible. I personally don’t animate though I plan on learning it soon. Hope that helps.

TL;DR yes. However, in rigid animation such as Roblox without vertex deformation, the answer is kind of. You can use a combination of easing styles and exaggerated movement to get the basis of things such as squash or stretch, but without vertex deformation, you can’t get them entirely.

In the cases where there is vertex deformation, some things can be done; in Overwatch, for example, during McCree’s “Rolling Into Action” highlight intro, they used deformation to stretch his face as he dived down to give his roll a more cartoony look and to give it a bit more life.

On Roblox, however, we don’t have vertex deformation, so you’ll need to exaggerate the whole motion as you can’t stretch a limb without scripting it in separately.

2 Likes

Yes, the principles are guidelines to help your animation look better. If there’s something you don’t like about your animation try to refer to the them and see if that helps you find what you can improve about your animation.