Does anybody have any idea how to make this Sidewalk Better?

Hi, have this sidewalk. Made it, using Negate Parts and Unions… Is there a better way to make it and does it look good, if not how can I improve the design. I’m not really one to build.

7 Likes

I think it looks good. I don’t see anything wrong with it.

5 Likes

That looks pretty good for a start. I’m thinking you maybe need to add a different texture or color in the cracks – like dirt or something. Also, unless I can’t tell from this angle, usually the grass is a little higher than the sidewalk.

It’s good already if your using this for a map you should see if it fits the style your going for. Personally you should try experimenting with textures or keep the normal material it doesn’t really matter.

If this looks more better with a texture placed on it, then you should try - use it. From the start it’s good not much can be said you could try either implementing leaves coming through the cracks or outlines of the stone piece.

Overall, it’s up to you if you feel the need to add a texture just to see if it looks better go for it, I like the current concrete material since this is something used in the real world not much can be done with it if you try making different architectural style ones.

Unions can be highly inefficient in large quantities. If you’re going to make a city, use parts or convert it to a mesh.

Aesthetically it’s fine, though. Not really anything worth mentioning apart from that.

if your going to for low poly i think add like small bumps if your going for high polly i think add like more bumps and more curves . but over all this is really good

ya same but he could maybe add on stuff if he would like to im my opinion

Do you think using shadow map ligthing tech? could do this, not to sure how to color it differently.

This is going to be used in a life game sort-of similar to The Sims

Are you talking for the texture between the cracks? I was just thinking you could make that part darker or a little different color. I’m not sure exactly how you modeled it though. You’d have to color it before you did your unions and such.

Also, just a note. Judging by what I see from the image, I don’t think unions and negates are necessary for this. You could have two long cubes along the sides, one lower, long cube for the middle (that’s darker), then a bunch of spaced out cubes, the same height as the sides for the walk. Anchor them all and you should be good.

Yeah, I just used one big part and used Cylinders as Negate Parts to create the cracks

I see. Yeah, the cylinder negates probably give those cracks a little nicer edge. But if you could live with “cubed” cracks, the model would be simpler and more easily modified. Just an option :slight_smile:

For side walks I personally use a texture then use a cylinder and round out the corners. Keep in mind they’re pretty basic when it comes to shape and for designs like herringbone, grid, etc. Just look up textures in the library models or decals.

I’d personally union and use the AngleSmoothing property to alter the normals of the tiles to look as if they are beveled at the edge rather than flat. In addition, maybe try adding some textures to it, doing so will help make it pop.

Real sidewalks don’t have those extra bars on the side. I’d remove them personally.
download

These would be ones that are right on the edge of the road, ones you’d see in the city

I really like that! I’ll give you some advice/tips.

• You could fill the cracks up with dark stone grey blocks.

• You should add a built-in light in the sidewalk itself, not in each square but you skip a square each time. (this isn’t fiction, i’ve seen it alot in real life.)

That’s all i can think of. Good luck with it! :sun_with_face:

1 Like