Does anyone know how they made them portals in roblox the classic

A thing I liked a lot about the classic was the portals, where you could look almost 3D into them. I think this would be a nice touch for a project I’m working on. If anyone has any ideas, your help would be much appreciated.

2 Likes

You mean the parralax effect like when you look out a window??

1 Like

it could be that it was like a portal and you could like see into it and walk around and see in it very nice effect

1 Like

I found this tutorial and it might produce the effect that you are looking for.

This could be what I’m looking for, I will have to check it out.

Unfortunately ViewportFrame masking isn’t at a point where it can be used to achieve such an effect without the portal being rendered over characters and other objects in Workspace. The portal examples use a pre-made player mask to prevent the ViewportFrame from being rendered over the player.

Roblox Classic probably used parallax mapping to create a 3D effect with the 2D stud rings. I found two examples utilizing parallax mapping: 3D texture and Classic portal effect. Both these examples calculate the position and size of each 2D image based on camera position but unfortunately I couldn’t find any math formulas posted by the examples’ creators.

Alternatively you could use EgoMoose’s portal to create a similar effect. It’s not what was used in Roblox Classic as the portals in that game don’t get pixelated up close but it could be a slightly easier alternative.

2 Likes