Does exporting a roblox model as an obj file and then importing it as a mesh part bring positive impacts?

Hello!

I was wondering if exporting a roblox model/union as an obj file and then importing it again as a mesh would bring any benefits?
I am developing a game and want it to be as lag free as possible, especially for lower end devices.

The rail is one mesh part and so is each of the little holders.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Yes, I believe that meshes can reduce lag in-game and can contribute to making your game as lag-free as possible. Check out this link from RDC 2018! It talks about improving performance!

You can also head to this other Forum which talks about reducing lag in laggy places, which might not be your case, but they do offer some good handy tips for you!

Forum link: How do you "actually" Reduce lag on already laggy places? - #13 by ColeDrilla

6 Likes

Indeed it does. But unions itself make games more lag free.

1 Like

The best method to reduce lag is to have Mesh parts and decals. (quoted by Avtixe in How do I reduce map lag? - #8 by SquidyCakez)

Meshes are still better than unions. You don’t really need to touch anything in blender either way, I think he should use meshes rather than unions. In the end, it’s his choice! :happy1:

If you have any other opinions, please send me a message and tell me! I’m always looking for performance imporvements in my games!

1 Like

There’s no point of doing this, it will keep it exactly the same. A union is the same thing as a mesh in studio but just a different file type basically. Let’s say the difference between a png and jpg, almost nothing except some uploading things. It will not change the lg whether you change it to a mesh or not.

2 Likes

If you upload it as a mesh, which I would do you have the ability to scale it a lot more then if it were a union, also I believe it does indeed reduce lag, because union parts hold info, this info is incase you would want to separate the union, if you convert it to a mesh part, then your game doesn’t process so much information reducing lag.

2 Likes

After talking with some old friends regarding this, I would say export it, check for any optimizations if possible, then re-import.

This would then chop away any unnecessary tris that would be causing any lag! (If there are none, then you’re all good!) – I have also heard that parts tend to lag less than unions, but that seems to be on a case by case basis.

There are also some pros and cons of course, here are the few I thought of from the top of my head:

Pros

• You can find any unnecessary instances/objects in your model, then work on removing them for optimization.
  • You would have some more free modeling options if you use say blender for example.

Cons

• You cant freely edit your mesh once its imported back into studio. (Slightly aggravating if you’re trying to get things done quick and smooth)
  • Optimizing with meshes are slightly harder to do. (From what I heard at least, may differ depending on knowledge, etc.)

Well, there’s everything I know that could possibly help you with building/modeling!

Hope this helps! :hugs:

1 Like

I’d say this would have a minimal impact on any kinds of performance as the poly count will be roughly the same, there may be a slight decrease in loading times for meshes, as i understand than unions build themselves during the loadtime, if its a very complex union involving several stages, many parts and negatives, a mesh will have a much quicker loading time… the only other advantage would be that you can squash and stretch meshes more easily…

1 Like

Hello.

Thanks, this does help a lot.
Meshes are easier for me for some parts due to the scaling options when compared to normal unions.

Hey.

Loading times are also an issue, so I’m willing to take the extra steps if this is a benefit.