How do I reduce map lag?

Grouping won’t help with lag. :slight_smile:

What I do recommend is turning your unions and parts into meshes. That will reduce lag.

It’s really, really easy to do so. Just:

1. Right click the thing (union, part, or group) you want to turn into a mesh,

2. Choose Export and export as an .obj file, and then,

3. Re-import it in. It’s that simple.

Y̶o̶u̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶o̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶B̶l̶e̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶e̶r̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶s̶o̶f̶t̶w̶a̶r̶e̶.̶

EDIT: After making your object a mesh, you should put it through blender to reduce geometry.

10 Likes

I’ve tried that but the problem is they are still dealing with tons of buildings, either way that won’t change that the map is 46k parts. I’m not a builder nor do I have the time to go building by building to reduce part count so that really won’t work either. As I’ve said I’ve hired multipler builders now and they have all disappointing me.

2 Likes

Well get them to use better methods, for example: In Jailbreak they use decals on some buildings to reduce lag by A LOT.

2 Likes

I mean I would but the problem is the map that I’ve already spent tens of thousands of robux on needs fixed, I’d rather not spend another 20k+ on a new map.

2 Likes

Okay, well watch the video and see if that helps, otherwise idk.

1 Like

I heard this works but I’ve never actually tried it, I’ll try it soon thanks for reminding me. I’ll mark it as solution if it works otherwise if anyone else has a idea on how to reduce lag please let me know.

2 Likes

The best method to reduce lag is to have Mesh parts and decals. Since parts uses so much space it can be really laggy in game when there are thousands and thousands of parts. You might wanna work hard to get mesh made and decals for any texture related stuff. Those 2 might be the only solutions I can think of.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I already said decals lol. He said he doesn’t want to rebuild the map so best method for him would be Meshes.

3 Likes

Decals can sometimes look ugly but example if you look at Jailbreaks as Aidan said:

to hire like a really good artist and make decals for any sort of road textures, stair textures, window textures, wall textures, and many other things in need. It might look ugly to you but you just gotta work hard for it and hope the best out from it!

(Reply to @SquidyCakez)

2 Likes

We’ll uh the part count might be so high that doesn’t even work, Blender might be needed… only half a building btw

5 Likes

Have you tried splitting buildings into smaller parts? Try having, for example, each side’s windows be separate meshes.

That could solve your problem. And if not,

I’d recommend searching a tutorial on how to reduce triangle count via Blender. I’m unfortunately not experienced enough in this area to directly help you out, but good luck. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Listen to this guy, he can help you better than I can.

EDIT AGAIN:

See @rogchamp’s post-

3 Likes

These resources should help you:

Anyways, to add onto this SIMPLIFY your buildings. Your buildings have too many unneccessary details from the amount of window parts to other things, parts that are even out of view still have an unloaded neccessary amount of parts.

Use scripts that unload parts from a wide distance away from it to decrease rendering costs, use fog/atmosphere as well.

Simplify collisions and disable them if needed/player wont access them.

3 Likes

Tbh all of your buildings should’ve been mesh except for the ones which will be used for interior designs. Almost every games uses this. Jailbreak, Madcity and other type of city games.

1 Like

Yeah I know, its the result of a small map being expanded upon by multiple builders. Could have been prevented if the map was made with a bit more care.

2 Likes

I’ll try it out, ty for the links.

6 Likes

Do you use free models? Because sometimes if you use free model they have unnecessary scripts that are not needed that cause lag. However if you don’t use free models, I learnt that if you have scripts that aren’t properly coded can cause lag. That’s just two things I can think of from my knowledge.

2 Likes

This will have no noticeable benefit. The reason meshes are better is because unions often generate unnecessary geometry, but if you’re not simplifying them at all in Blender the different datatype isn’t going to magically make your game faster.

4 Likes

You can’t reduce the lag with that much parts no matter how you change it. But I got a couple of solutions, note that all of this is easier to say than done:

• Requirement: A little bit of scripting skills and (decal alternative for the buildings (optional))
    Cons: Not guaranteed
    Check the player surroundings using a script that runs everytime, if the buildings are within the player range of magnitude, then spawn the parts that makes up the details of the building. If the buildings are out of range, you can either switch the buildings details to a decal alternative, or just remove the details of the building.
  • Requirement: Decals for the details of the building
    Cons: Loss of details
    This is the easiest solution you can do, just switch all of the buildings details to decals.
  • Requirement: 3d modelling skills and a modelling software (blender, it’s free)
    Cons: Take a lot of time + Not guaranteed
    This is the hardest solution, use a modelling software and then remove unnecessary faces on each details. Each dot is the faces on the details, each faces equals 2 triangles that adds up to the triangle count.
3 Likes

Union some of the parts, that might help with lag!!

1 Like

One way you could solve this add places.
No scripting require :grinning:

Here. This should solve problem. Whenever i awnser these i bring this video around:

(This shows all ways to reduce lag, including one that you may not be aware of.)