Does game.Debris:AddItem() throttle?

Using too many wait()s simultaneously will cause significant performance dip or in some cases will cause your code to infinitely yield. After testing game.Debris:AddItem(), I realised it’s waiting in intervals similar to wait(), so my concern is, if I use too many game.Debris:AddItem() simultaneously, will that cause some throttling and thus kill my performance?

This was the test I realised:

local lastTime = os.clock()

local p = Instance.new("Part", workspace)
p.AncestryChanged:Connect(function()
	print("Destroyed after", os.clock() - lastTime) -- This prints around 0.03
end)

game.Debris:AddItem(p, 0.01)

Should I instead opt to using something like this?

local function Debris(item, period)
	task.spawn(function()
		task.wait(period)
		if item and item.Parent ~= nil then
			item:Destroy()
		end
	end)
end

The function above will never throttle because task.wait() uses heartbeat, and if you have any suggestions to make it better, please share.

7 Likes

I guess this is the successor to game.Debris:AddItem(), thank you for sharing this. And just for convenience, might as well add this

local function Destroy(instance, duration)
	task.delay(duration or 0.01, game.Destroy, instance)
end
4 Likes

I’m not convinced that it’s worth abandoning Debris Service. I just ran a benchmark in Studio with this code:

local debris = game:GetService("Debris")

task.wait(5)

local folder = Instance.new("Folder")
folder.Parent = workspace

local tasktimes = table.create(100)

for test = 1, 100 do

local start = os.clock()
	for i = 1, 1000 do
		local part = Instance.new("Part")
		part.Position = Vector3.new(math.random(-500,500),math.random(-500,500),math.random(-500,500))
		part.Parent = folder

task.delay(1, function() part:Destroy() end)
	end

task.wait(2)
	local stop = os.clock()
	tasktimes[test] = (stop - start)
end

local tasktotal = 0
for i = 1, 100 do
	tasktotal += tasktimes[i]
end

local debristimes = table.create(100)
for test = 1, 100 do

local start = os.clock()
	for i = 1, 1000 do
		part.Position = Vector3.new(math.random(-500,500),math.random(-500,500),math.random(-500,500))
		part.Parent = folder

debris:AddItem(part,1)
	end	

task.wait(2)
	local stop = os.clock()
	debristimes[test] = (stop - start)
end

local debristotal = 0
for i = 1, 100 do
	debristotal += debristimes[i]
end

print("Duration Average for task.delay: "..(tasktotal/100))
print("Duration Average for debris service: "..(debristotal/100))

And got these results:

So it really seems to me like they take about the same amount of time either way.

3 Likes

While this is a good benchmark, it’s running on your presumably powerful machine with no external load on the environement. The real tests will happen in a server full of players and other variables that come into play, and according to your benchmark, task.delay will help ease up a lot of load on the server thus yielding better experience.

2 Likes

Honestly this wouldn’t work if the script was deleted.

The main reason debris exists is to be 100 % sure that something will be deleted.

2 Likes

I think I remembered the issue wrong. Actually the problem is that if the object is already destroyed (like by another script or by falling to the void) then the code would error.

1 Like

1/60th of a second, which for most Roblox users would be 1 frame.

1 Like

I agree that debris should not be abandoned but not for the reason you mentioned, for one debris service doesnt throttle and i dont even know if throttling exists anymore, they might have gotten rid of it.

And the if statement check will always pass because the the instance variable will not just be gone after the delay has passed because that’s not how the gc works, i suspect you mean to do something like this:

local function destroy(instance: Instance)
	if instance.Parent then
		instance:Destroy()
	end
end

local function delayedDestroy(instance: Instance, seconds: number)
	task.delay(seconds, destroy, instance)
end

but even that would be redundant because the function :Destroy does that already, calling it on an already destroyed instance doesnt error or anything.

The real reason to keep using Debris is because task.delay will create a thread from the function which might be slower than what Debris internally does, another reason would be because it might destroy instances faster since it’s internal? Either way task.delay remains a nice convenience when seldom used, but for many instances the definitely use Debris

1 Like

I would avoid using Debris since its codebase is simply old, inefficient, and outdated. Not to mention the 1000 item limit

I would switch to Debrisgobbler here: DebrisGobbler - a much more performant alternative to DebrisService

1 Like

These are some claims that need backing, could you please provide evidence for being all that.

This game by erik cassel from 2013 using debris service

1 Like

I’m not sure why you would need a whole module instead of just doing:

task.delay(2, part.Destroy, part)

Also, some of the posts you linked are outdated, especially the one named “Purpose of Debris Service”. The benchmark they used now shows that Debris is on par with task.delay.

1 Like

This settles it.

And here I was, thinking Debris was still maintained… Why didn’t Roblox deprecate it sooner? There’s not even a warning in the documentation either…

P.S. this code does create a new thread, though. I think the best course of action that Roblox should take is just update the implementation of Debris. For now, though, Wisp has provided this workaround:

His first link has a roblox staff saying Debris is bad, so a module can definitely be made to be better.

In the post you linked, he recommends using what I showed, not a random module. You should read the posts you link.

Dont be aggressive now, he recommends it because it’s better than Debris not because it’s the best alternative, creating a function and a thread just to destroy a single instance can definitely be avoided, and if done properly will result in major performance gains

This is just extra steps and doesnt solve anything, it still creates a thread, just do task.delay(seconds, instance.Destroy, instance)

The module is supposed to be an updated 1:1 substitution for DebrisService, which doesn’t need to spawn new threads since everything is clumped together and scheduled while avoiding the legacy roblox scheduler.

You don’t need to use DebrisGobbler or any other module for that matter, just I’d prefer to not reinvent the wheel… Unless the wheel is broken like DebrisService is

In fact, legacy DebrisService is so bad to the point where creating a new thread is more efficient. Wow…

There is no reason to create a new thread to asynchronously destroy one single item when you can just chuck thousands of instances into a queue to be destroyed synchronously.

1 Like

Sorry if I came off as rude.

I made some benchmarks to compare the speeds.

@OnceCrowned
Code:

local DebrisGobbler = require(game:GetService("ReplicatedStorage").DebrisGobbler.DebrisGobbler)

local start = os.clock()

for i = 1, 50000 do
	DebrisGobbler:AddItem(part, 5)
end

print("DebrisGobbler: ".. os.clock() - start)

task.wait(5)

local start = os.clock()

for i = 1, 50000 do
	task.delay(5, part.Destroy, part)
end

print("task.delay: ".. os.clock() - start)

Results:

DebrisGobler: 0.26530759999877773
task.delay: 0.17425839999850723

Apologies if there is a flaw in the benchmark, I made it in 3 minutes.

You only benched the difference between DebrisGobbler’s insertion and task.delay, there’s a fundamental difference between the two, you’ve made 50k coroutines when you did task.delay which is so unnecessary, DebrisGobbler doesnt do that and that’s what makes it a lot better when dealing with many instances.

Also, a simple bench like that doesnt take into account outliers and whatnot.

1 Like